Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

KezAzzamean t1_j50b4tk wrote

There would certainly need to be education about opioids.

But just a reminder, they were legal throughout most of history. Recently, from the civil war until 1920’s era (some laws in the teens and others later) we had morphine, heroin, and injections. Laudanum was sold at every store. And we had issues but it wasn’t the mass destruction that society fears.

Honestly the best way to keep people off drugs is economic security.

I understand your apathy towards the legalization. I just believe it’s the best course forward. There is no stopping fentanyl and the next chemical to come out. There are a few new RC’s that will be most likely be hitting hard in a few years that I’m troubled by as well.

No way to keep chemicals from poorer countries or areas to produce and smuggle in. We just can’t stop it. Fentanyl is only a thing now. What happens when the next more euphoric and less deadly one comes?

dasubermensch83 t1_j50kdox wrote

Oh I'm not apathetic about legalization at all. Morally, logically, and economically some kind of radical departure form the status quo is long overdue. The worst side effects of many criminalized drugs is being forced into a cage for days, weeks, or possibly the rest of your life. This has wrought nothing except decades of unconscionable human misery, all for nothing. I don't think most people recognize just how awful current policy is.

The once-great History Channel did a series called 'Illegal Drugs and How They Got That Way'. Its prob on youtube now. Its great. I just wanted to point out that each drug has its own logic for regulation, and cultural differences in drug use need to be accounted for.