Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ankeneering t1_j5hayuv wrote

I do affirmative action planning for companies over 50 people with over 50k in government contacts in the US. I have an x-ray view in to employment decisions in this country. Mathematically. Who gets hired/promoted/terminated/payed etc and their qualifications. The VAST majority or employers simply do not give a shit about your "protected status" (women/minority) they simply want the best person for the job. They don't want someone who's black lesbian and jewish.... they want someone who can sell/analyze/communicate/operate their shit. really. Exceptions being veteran and handicapped...companies WILL go out of their way to give a hand-up to those cats. That's the only real "affirmative action" that exists the way most Americans think of it. (you hire someone based on their person-hood). That whole quotas thing your drunk uncle bitches about at thanksgiving simply doesn't exist. (except kinda for veterans and handicapped).

the only real thing people should get pissed off about is women in banks. those fuckers are all white men. They give VP job titles to them in leu of compensation or actual power. that whole glass ceiling thing really exists in banks and financial institutions.

ThePiemaster t1_j5hygc6 wrote

Affirmative action happens at the university admissions level. There are lawsuits in progress about it.

Ankeneering t1_j5i7168 wrote

scholastic AAP is a different animal. who the fuck knows what goes on with that.

korevis t1_j5is5ct wrote

How does it work, if not the drunken uncle interpretation?