Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

scraper01 t1_ix6t386 wrote

Four 1080 ti will get you the performance of a single 3090 if you are not using mixed precision. Once tensor cores are enabled, difference is night and day. Training and inference, a single 3090 will blow your multi GPU rig out of the water. On top of that, you'll need a motherboard plus a CPU with lots of PCIE lanes, and those ain't cheap. Pro grade stuff with enough lanes will be north of 10k. Not worth it.

Nerveregenerator OP t1_ix75olf wrote

So I did some research. According to the lambda labs website, 4 1080s combined will get me 1.5x throughout as a 3090 with FP32 training. FP16 seems to yield a 1.5x speed up for the 3090 for training. So even with mixed precision, it comes out to be the same. The actual configuration of 4 cards is not something I’m very familiar with, but I wanted to point this out as it seems like NVIDIA has really bullshitted a lot with their marketing. A lot of the numbers they throw around just don’t translate to ML.

incrediblediy t1_ix7czdr wrote

> 4 1080s combined will get me 1.5x throughout as a 3090 with FP32 training. FP16 seems to yield a 1.5x speed up for the 3090 for training.

I think that's when only comparing CUDA cores without Tensor cores, anyway you can't merge VRAM together for large models