Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Appropriate_Ant_4629 t1_ixtlk37 wrote

> Windows + WSL with Ubuntu is great

I wouldn't call it "great".

It's very fragile environment compared to running Linux as the host OS. At work our Linux machines have uptimes measure in years, running many jobs 24x7.

It's lucky if my co-worker's GPU-accelerated WSL environments survive a few days.

I much prefer running Linux as the host and Windows in a VM for the rare occasions I need it.

Longjumping-Wave-123 t1_ixtls4o wrote

Person is asking for casual non-professional, so maybe good enough? But I agree, pure Linux is better.

corneliusJackson1 t1_ixvxvpg wrote

I think it’s great from a local workstation perspective and see it no more fragile than a standard windows, Mac, or Linux work station environment.

I do agree it doesn’t compare to a professional server cluster. I use wsl at work for a local workstation (small builds/jobs and debugging) but farm out big jobs to a server cluster.

Based on the described use case I think wsl would be a great option. I use it on my personal machine and transitioning from a code/ml project to playing a game of league is so easy compared to switching to my dual boot partition. Running wsl does share system resources with a second os, but the over head of windows is not that large. I personally never run into the case where native Linux provides a Benifit over wsl for jobs small enough that I wouldn’t just farm out to a cloud based server (very rare with my personal projects).