Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Em_Adespoton t1_jdkuy7v wrote

Er, every pair of wired and wireless headphones with controls and a mic that I’ve used in the last decade have been able to do that? For that matter, “hey siri” can trigger most of those features without any headphones at all.

On an iPhone you go to Settings->Accessibility to manage most of the settings and Settings->Siri & Search for the rest.

Swearingpear OP t1_jdkxhbw wrote

no I can set my beats wireless pro to automatically read text messages when I have them on and connected- is that possible with other cheaper headphones?

Em_Adespoton t1_jdkyrpz wrote

With my wired headphones, I press the siri button and say “read my text” when the text vibration goes off. With my cheap Bluetooth ones, it either just reads it if I have that enabled, or I say “hey siri, read my text” if it doesn’t. It’ll let me reply to texts or create them from scratch too.

I think Beats just enables some of the assistive tech by default.

It’s also fully programmable using Shortcuts: you can create shortcuts that check what headphones are connected and do different things when a text is received, including auto respond based on your location or the sender.

Swearingpear OP t1_jdneir3 wrote

All right thanks. I looked around in the settings that you mentioned previously but I’m not finding much to do that. Do you have any suggestions for further research or instructions on how to set that automation up?