Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

cmlobue t1_jdzfqud wrote

Because the laws in the US were written to (1) allow them to do that, and (2) require for-profit companies to put shareholder gains above everything else.

jamesgelliott t1_jdzhuma wrote

Point #2 isn't correct. Even non-profit companies like Blue Cross and the various healthcare coops engage in cost containment measures.

Why pay $1000 for a newer more expensive treatment when a $100 proven treatment will work.

There are things called clinical pathways that are guidelines that start with least expensive yet generally effective treatments first.

It's why you have to get an inexpensive X-Ray before the MD can order a more expensive CT scan.

haspfoot t1_jdzin4y wrote

But ideally, the system would deal with the pathway/guideline issue on a provider level and eventually drop Doctors/facilities from their network if they have a demonstrable track record of inappropriate clinical practices. Not shift the burden upon the individual. In particular, not drop it on the individual after service has been provided.

jamesgelliott t1_jdzokfa wrote

It's not inappropriate treatment. You can't expect every MD, Nurse practitioner and Physician's assistant to know every clinical pathway for every insurance provider.

Recently I had a colonoscopy. The MD ordered a prep that wasn't covered by my insurance but it did cover an older less expensive option. The pharmacy simply had to contact the MD and get the order changed.

haspfoot t1_jdzovcx wrote

Well, if providers can't be expected to know, then certainly the burden shouldn't be shifted onto the patient. Ideally the whole thing would be overhauled with a focus on medical outcomes and not profits.

zorecknor t1_jdzgxfq wrote

This is the right answer. In most of the countries I know off Insurance must cover everything the doctor say unless they can prove it is not in the coverage (always check your coverage before taking insurance). They still fight tooth and nail not to pay, but it is easier to push back and get paid.