Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Ansuz07 t1_je73qf6 wrote

Depends on the context.

It could mean amusing them - like how you have to play with a child to keep them entertained rather than just talk to them or hang out.

It could also mean having someone in your home, though that is more archaic usage. Entertaining used to mean hosting dinner parties and the like.

d4rkh0rs t1_je7420j wrote

In the more archaic usage I've heard it used for listening to the thoughts of someone you normally wouldn't because they are beneath your station or the enemy or......

fatman06 t1_je747z7 wrote

Its providing enjoyment or something to do. If I say I'm entraining guests at my house it's typically I'm hosting something that may include dinner, drinks, games etc.

explainlikeimfive-ModTeam t1_je74c6v wrote

Your submission has been removed for the following reason(s):

ELI5 is not for straightforward answers or facts - ELI5 is for requesting an explanation of a concept, not a simple straightforward answer. This includes topics of a narrow nature that don’t qualify as being sufficiently complex per rule 2.

If you would like this removal reviewed, please read the detailed rules first. If you believe this {kind} was removed erroneously, please use this form and we will review your submission.

Twin_Spoons t1_je74en1 wrote

"Entertaining" usually means some event that you put effort into organizing. You invite the guests ahead of time, make some food, and often have a focal activity (watching a movie, doing a craft, gift exchange, etc.)