Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jamesgelliott t1_iui4lsz wrote

If the US ever goes to a universal healthcare model, you better hope like hell it's government financed but not government run. I have worked in healthcare since 1996 with most of my experience in healthcare regulatory compliance. The places least compliant with the regulations are governmental healthcare providers.

The VA is government RUN. The staff are government employees. If you've paid anything at all to the news about the VA, you would know wait times are horrible and the quality of care is low. That's why several years ago restrictions were lifted that allowed Veterans to go outside the VA system in many instances. Sadly, Biden put back into place some restrictions.

Medicaid in my state is government FINANCED. Recipients have the freedom to go to a number of different providers. The program is administered by a private company that contracted with the state.

So to your question, what will happen to the insurance companies if the US goes to a universal healthcare model? The companies will switch what they do. That will quit selling policies but they will still process and administer the programs.

For example, you may believe Blue Cross is a health insurance company. They are but they do far more than just sell and process claims. Blue Cross is the biggest processor of Medicare claims.

−1

A_Garbage_Truck t1_iui78l2 wrote

the biggest issue with trying to implement the system in the US is that by itself is not sufficient.

NHs's works in other countires because they also pass legislation that regulates food/consumer products in the interest of protecting public Health.

for instance: some of the products you see in the US sold as "Food" would be deemed outright illegal to sell in these nations just from the sheer amount of sugar in them.

such regulation would in turn significantly lower the incidience of avoidable diseases like morbid obesity, Heart diseases and diabetes. this would in turn "unclog" the NHS

TLDR:implementing a NHS demands legislation that also aims ot improve the overall Health of the population. some companies would rather not have that because it would cut inot their bottom line.