Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Em_Adespoton t1_ittb7k9 wrote

They aren’t, for the most part. Because there’s no real incentive to do so. There have been a run of articles discussing this exact situation over the past month, because the Metaverse has been an absolute flop.

ckirby7 t1_ittb3du wrote

Because Mark Zuckerberg has fooled people into thinking that digital assets have value far above their real worth. The kinds of people who would buy property in the metaverse are also the kinds of people thinking that buying expensive NFT's are a good idea. When the metaverse crashes and burns it will become worthless, but some people are fooled to think otherwise.

Meanwhile, people buying the property and such are handing over their money to Meta

InnateAnarchy OP t1_ittb6l8 wrote

Okay, but what’s the end game? Do they think that things will shift to a distopian future where everyone lives in their metaverse?

Also, I find it ironic that you have a Reddit NFT which are all sitting at like a 10k floor right now, no?

ETA: TIL not all of the hexagon shaped avatars are NFTS

ckirby7 t1_ittbmus wrote

Eh? I got this reddit thing for free just from post karma. I wouldn't spend a dollar on reddit.

My best guess is that Meta wants to eventually becomes a large scale digital asset management company

InnateAnarchy OP t1_ittbphq wrote

I thought all of the cool shaped ones were avatars

TIL.

Also, I likely have enough karma for one where exactly did you get it free lol

ckirby7 t1_ittbzbm wrote

Not even sure where it came from. Showed up in my notifications on my profile saying I've got access to a new avatar

Arianity t1_ittl1z5 wrote

> Okay, but what’s the end game?

They think there will be more interest in them in the future, as adoption increases. And that will drive more interest/demand.

So they're hoping by getting in early, they can be ready when the price spikes.

>Do they think that things will shift to a distopian future where everyone lives in their metaverse?

That's an exaggerated version, but yeah, more or less.

[deleted] t1_ittd6d5 wrote

Because marks are easily beguiled by promises of money, fame, or sex, and the metaverse offers cheap facsimilies of all three while you piss away your real life.

Flair_Helper t1_ittijxc wrote

Please read this entire message

Your submission has been removed for the following reason(s):

Questions about a business or a group's motivation are not allowed on ELI5. These are usually either straightforward, or known only to the organisations involved, leading to speculation (Rule 2).

If you would like this removal reviewed, please read the detailed rules first. If you believe this submission was removed erroneously, please use this form and we will review your submission.