Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Clarksp2 t1_ixzbbf6 wrote

Because they are innocent, something us humans never are.

They also can’t tell us what they’re thinking, so it’s nice for us to think for them “they must really love me” when in reality, they know you give them food

circlebust t1_ixzl4o2 wrote

> us what they’re thinking, so it’s nice for us to think for them “they must really love me” when in

Note that my dog is a complete anomaly. I did not feed him for the first 4 years of his life, because I didn't regard him as my dog yet and feeding as my chore, him being one small family dog among many (my mom's hobby).

Yet the mutt still loved me.

This never, ever happens with dogs. Ever ever ever, to make it especially clear to Redditors what I mean.

Snaggmaw t1_ixzg90g wrote

Some people do, but certainly not all.
Ultimately people's love of animals generally comes down to Superficial factors, like animals being cute, interesting or just in general fascinating, to conscious factors like animals providing a sense of importance and purpose in (for example) pet owners, to subconscious factors like the lack of judgement and a casual relationship.

Criminals who are given the task of tending to animals (for example cows) can wind up caring immensely for the animal because it doesn't judge the criminal for his past mistakes or even flaws, and instead responds to immediate actions. negative behavior has a negative response, positive behavior has a positive response. the simplicity is endearing.

Djeng726cgk t1_iy0sqr3 wrote

I think this is a bit stretched. There may be some truth in it, but the bonding that happens between people and animals often appears to be a lot deeper than the superficial factors you mentioned

esmith000 t1_ixzyiha wrote

The answer is that we evolved alongside them. We share a long relationship of coexistence to mutually benefit each other.

lhine490 t1_iy07pqz wrote

over thousands of years, we caused them to evolve qualities that make them lovable.

a hungry wolf pack would wander over toward a family of cavemen; the cavemen would feed and protect the wolves that were a bit friendlier, a bit more outgoing, a bit cuter, a bit more willing to protect them from other predators; meanwhile the uglier, asshole, aloof wolves would starve to death or get eaten and fail to reproduce.

repeat for a couple hundred thousand years or so, and the cute, friendly, lovable, loyal dogs are the ones being selected for, and a symbiotic relationship develops between man and dog.

innocensia t1_iy08dvk wrote

I think its because animals are not corrupted by society and are therefore innocent. Just like how people feel fluffy when a baby looks at then and laughs, there’s something I cannot explain in detail about keeping an innocent creature safe from any sort of harm.

[deleted] OP t1_ixzc35s wrote

Humans love the feeling of superiority and we are far superior to any other creature on this planet. Gotta love that rush

Edit: The feeling of superiority isn’t innately malicious. I hope you all realize that wasn’t my intention.

−2

jensjoy t1_ixzh1hq wrote

>Humans love the feeling of superiority and we are far superior

*We actually aren't superior but like to belief that we are so we make up definitions for superior that fit our view

[deleted] OP t1_ixzje1i wrote

You don’t have the science to prove that. But yes I was referring to the feeling of superiority.

jensjoy t1_ixzkl44 wrote

Do you really need scientific proof that you can't outrun cheetahs or dive longer than dolphins?

[deleted] OP t1_ixzkpe0 wrote

Intellectual superiority, genius. Lol that was ironic to say.

jensjoy t1_ixzlhkb wrote

So you chose how to define superiority (in this case by intellect)?

Let me just quote myself here since it seems you didn't care to read my comment:

>so we make up definitions for superior that fit our view

Thanks for demonstrating my point though

[deleted] OP t1_ixzmtp9 wrote

Yes intellectual superiority is what I was referring to because humans are afar superior in this category to any other animal. I thought it so rudimentary and basic I need not even bring up the point.

jensjoy t1_ixzo089 wrote

So we're clear that we humans choose the definition of superior?
'Cause a few comments earlier you demanded the science to proof that...

[deleted] OP t1_ixzofzp wrote

I thought you were referring to intellect as I was if you would be so kind as to acknowledge. And yes of course we do because we have the intelligence to do so. Can I not go into space? Can a lion breach the cosmos? We’re on the same page bud. But I don’t like your attitude.

jensjoy t1_ixzp52a wrote

>But I don’t like your attitude.

Fair enough. I just don't like the attitude of humans thinking they're superior (be it animals or other humans) because I've seen the gruesome stuf they do based on that.

[deleted] OP t1_ixzpof7 wrote

With great power comes great responsibility & I think we can all agree on that.

[deleted] OP t1_iy0e0wi wrote

Fuck you for assuming I was being malicious btw. Eat poop