Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

iblastoff t1_ixto1xd wrote

do you have to? probably not. but i think the obvious answer is unless you're driving some ancient car, turning off your vehicle is literally gonna save you on gas since you're not wasting it idling for 5 minutes or however long it takes to fill up.

now imagine everyone leaving their car on when filling up? that'd be a huge waste of fuel overall.

mythic_device t1_ixtq8up wrote

Yes. With most new cars like hybrids that shut the engine off automatically at red lights, it makes no sense to leave an engine on during 5 minutes of fuelling and paying.

Scott_4560 t1_ixtqu0j wrote

One of the dumbest features of modern cars. Would rather spend a few dollars on fuel wasted while idling than fork out for a new starter motor ever few years

−10

happygoclunky t1_ixts45w wrote

Also saves on emissions and polutuon in cities and towns, improving people's health.

I have a car with this feature and after 8 years the starter is still going strong. And you can turn the auto stop off

iamnogoodatthis t1_ixtspe0 wrote

Maybe you need to buy cars with less shitty starter motors. My 2013 stop-start one is still going strong, and the lungs of people where I live are the happier for it.

the1slyyy t1_ixtwy3v wrote

Pretty sure these stop starts designed their starters to handle the load

kyrsjo t1_ixu1ofb wrote

Also, starting a warm engine doesn't take much, compared to i.e. a normal or especially a really cold start. To start my old diesel car when its say -20c and it's had time to get really cold, takes a while, even after bumping the glow plugs a few times.

Squirrels_Gone_Wild t1_ixtvjt4 wrote

Not sure why no one has mentioned the idling thing yet. It's bad for the environment and wastes gas. Multiply that by the millions of cars on the road and it adds up.

According to this article, its 6 billion gallons of gas every year (half of which are "normal" cars, the other half being heavy duty stuff) https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-08-10/can-cities-finally-win-the-war-on-vehicle-idling and that's with almost no one idling at gas stations.