Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TheLuteceSibling t1_iya5t9i wrote

Your body cannot convert fat back into usable energy in large enough quantities to survive. You will starve, even if properly hydrated and vitamin'd.

Your body burns fat to span the gap when you run a caloric deficit, so while "don't eat" is dangerous, "eat less" is in fact the only solution (excluding surgeries, for example).

−3

GodzlIIa t1_iya71g1 wrote

>Your body cannot convert fat back into usable energy in large enough quantities to survive. You will starve, even if properly hydrated and vitamin'd.

Isn't the point of Angus Barbieri that you can? Or do you think that case was a fluke/faked?

TheLuteceSibling t1_iya7prp wrote

I'm skeptical, but I'd be open to seeing anyone repeat the stunt.

GodzlIIa t1_iya8mfx wrote

I have seen several long fasts, although nothing as long as Angus. More like a month. But I have no reason to doubt it, so I don't see why you would make claims that it cant be done.

TheLuteceSibling t1_iyaa4l7 wrote

A month is fine. A healthy person takes about 3 weeks to die with no food. A person with ample fat reserves would (or at least should) last longer.

Angus' feat was done with close supervision and (as far as anyone can cite) only once. I'm skeptical, as I said, and there's nothing radical about the idea of fat reclamation falling short of subsistence. I'd be curious to see someone replicate it.

gmaclane t1_iya99qy wrote

Personally, I don’t think it’s typical at least. At the other end of the spectrum I’ve read about someone who died of starvation while still obese.

The problem is that there is no protein coming in, and burning fat isn’t going to contribute to your protein needs, so your body is going to catabolize muscle too. This includes your heart muscle. It’s common for anorexics to die of mitral valve prolapse or congestive heart failure.

I don’t know if my example or your example is closer to typical, but not a risk I would consider.

I also want to note that Barbieri died in his early 50’s. Wouldn’t surprise me if his extended starvation period resulted in a heart attack some years later.

GodzlIIa t1_iyaa2cp wrote

I imagine the answer to op's question would be whether or not its healthy like you stated.

>At the other end of the spectrum I’ve read about someone who died of starvation while still obese.

Was this person in a trial where they were getting the necessary vitamins/electrolytes or were they just fasting on their own? And how long? I am curious but there doesn't seem to be a lot of studies like with Angus.

>The problem is that there is no protein coming in

I am pretty sure some of the supplements Angus was taking included amino acids.

gmaclane t1_iyalgmj wrote

Not claiming to be an expert on Angus, but wiki says he lived on “tea, coffee, soda water, and vitamins”. No protein/amino acids in most vitamins, although maybe they said vitamins when they meant supplements.

The obese starvation victim was mentioned in a scientific study I read. It’s entirely possible there was a link to another paper with more details but I didn’t follow it. I just recall reading that drove home for me the importance of protein while dieting.