Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

152centimetres t1_j6hdfvy wrote

i'd talk to a nutritionist, they can help you with your caloric/macro nutrient intake goals and figure out the best exercises for you

but honestly it sounds like you're quite fit so im guessing your goal is just general weight loss? so i'd like to just put it out there that unless you change your eating and exercise for the rest of your life, as soon as you stop the "diet" or extra exercise or whatever it is, you will more than likely end up gaining the weight back and possibly more

tl;dr diets dont work, lifestyle changes do, and weight loss isnt the end all be all for happiness/self esteem

Freedom-No-781 OP t1_j6he1pi wrote

Talking to a nutritionist does sound like a good plan, unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere USA so I'd have to travel a bit to see one.

I'm overweight for my height at least not in my mind tragically so, 220 at 5'9 my goal is both to put on muscle while also losing weight, a lifestyle change is exactly what I need tbh, I don't want to diet, simply eat less which I guess is "dieting" but it's not as strict, I mean I could eat 1500 calories of McDonalds and call it a day.

152centimetres t1_j6her5i wrote

like i said, macros are just as (if not more of) an important factor as the actual calories, here's an article from harvard about why a calorie is not a calorie, which i think is a good place to start! do some research, and listen to your body!!!

my best advice tho is not to worry too much about counting calories, listen to your body and only eat when you're hungry, and try to eat the foods that you're craving, because your body will tell you what it needs (but like if you're craving fast food, try to eat homemade foods with similar ingredients that will give your body what it needs while still keeping you relatively healthy)

that said, all things in moderation! if you want chips here and there thats fine! a soda once in a while? why not! your body is whats keeping you alive so try to give it the love it deserves!!

mrasifs t1_j6k1hkz wrote

A lot of health plans will allow (maybe even encourage) you to see a nutritionist for free. Chat with your GP to see if they can recommend a virtual consultation.