Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bryan_pieces t1_j9n1kug wrote

Reply to comment by richman678 in [i ate] vegetarian ramen by rayesben

Damn you went in on it without realizing you were wrong from the jump. Eggs are laid without fertilization

richman678 t1_j9n7t72 wrote

They would have been fertilized if they weren’t picked by humans.

−26

WalrusByte t1_j9naast wrote

Not unless the hen mated with a rooster first. They lay regularly whether their eggs are fertilized or not. We only eat the unfertilized ones

richman678 t1_j9q4cki wrote

How do you know which ones are fertilized and which ones aren’t?

WalrusByte t1_j9q54q2 wrote

I've never done this myself, but I heard you can shine a flashlight through the egg to see if there's an embryo inside. Results depends on how early or late into the growing process it is. The easiest thing to do is just keep the roosters and the hens separated so you know they're all unfertilized.

richman678 t1_j9r0zi5 wrote

Well for the record I’m sure these eggs in the photo weren’t fertilized. That doesn’t mean i think eggs still count as vegetarian.

bryan_pieces t1_j9nae8o wrote

Wow you put your foot in your mouth again!

richman678 t1_j9q48js wrote

Yeah you got me. The original thought still holds up. Eggs are meat

Katters8811 t1_j9nxrg6 wrote

How would they get fertilized when the hens have zero access to roosters? No males=no sperm=no fertilization.

Did you also know that human women “lay eggs” absent fertilization? It’s called a period. Not sure I’ve ever seen someone so sure while being so wrong.

richman678 t1_j9q366s wrote

Yes i was aware. It’s still an animal product that was designed for something else.