Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

yogirlandyofamily t1_j9na73f wrote

I thought vegan is a short term for vegetarian. I recall there's vegan, lacto vegan (can eat milk), lacto ovo vegan (can eat milk & eggs), etc. Has the term vegan always been "more radical" vegetarian in the very first place or has the differencing between them only been around recently?

−21

josidhe t1_j9nb6gh wrote

I think you got some wires crossed on the words as you picked them up over time. Vegan was never an abbreviated form of vegetarian, it was always a separate thing.

Pop on over to google and type in lacto. Check out the suggestions that drop down. You mixed 'em up.

yogirlandyofamily t1_j9nck5r wrote

Oh i see im not a native English speaker. It just sounds weird to me to hear the shorter term can mean something different when usually its just the shorter term

whatfuckingever69 t1_j9njm1a wrote

Vegetarians just don’t eat meat/fish but do eat eggs and dairy. Vegans don’t eat meat/fish, eggs, or dairy. I have been vegetarian for 20+ years, the terms have always been different things.

The_Healed t1_j9obomw wrote

Nope youre thinking lacto vegetarian. Or ovo lacto veg. Vegan means zero animal products in anyway shape or form. Period. At all. Even if it doesnt otherwise hurt to animal (shearing sheep for wool)

ihaveanideer t1_j9pjqm1 wrote

Commercial wool does cause hurt to the animal. You can google photos of sheep who have been carelessly sheared. Similarly for eggs - if you have a pet chicken that’s laying eggs, eating them won’t cause harm. But the commercialization of eggs causes mass harm via exploitation.

−1

The_Healed t1_j9pjxvy wrote

Thanks for the caveat. Reckless/careless. As a whole careful handling causes no harm. Neither does having egg laying animals for consumption. No buts necessary

yogirlandyofamily t1_j9oe00s wrote

The downvotes lol it's just a question. So this is why vegans have this reputation of being angry extremists

CreedAngelus t1_j9nfyt7 wrote

Used to think this until I got harassed by a vegan for eating eggs.

Not all of em are like that but goddamn do the bad ones make a scene.

Cu_fola t1_j9oxezo wrote

I mean I’m not vegan, but I make it a point not to get offended when someone is hardcore about something they see as a life or death ethical violation.

And It is literally life or death.

I’m ok with eating eggs as a concept. But the way we acquire them is unbelievably cruel and wasteful. There’s no way to avoid it in our current system without simply not eating eggs.

Even happy backyard chickens are mostly purchased as babies from the same industrial chicken producers that use these methods. And possibly most people just replace their laying hens by buying more chicks, not by breeding their own hens and dealing with the male chicks humanely.

So every time I eat an egg, I am funding this abhorrent system one way or another. I can’t pretend that I’m not.

my solution has been to cut down my animal-based food by 75%.

I suspect we’ll never get to a point where everyone in the world is vegetarian or vegan. It looks very unlikely to me.

But If everyone who has a choice accepts the gravity of their food choices and chooses to change their diet composition up, we can exert pressure and radically change the structure of our ag system to stop being such a disaster.

SkylianSkimbape t1_j9pdd3t wrote

Veganism is about not using any animal products or contributing to any industry that uses animals. Mainly because of ethical and/or ecological reasons.

Vegetarianism is about diet (mostly due to religious or health reasons) and is mainly concerned with not consuming animals themselves.

Vegetarians may eat honey and dairy, may wear leather (religious Hindus would consider leather unclean as it involves killing) but vegans would not touch any of the above as it all involves living animals in one way or another.

lunas2525 t1_j9nu8q5 wrote

Vegan was the pretentious socal offshoot that we are better than you version of vegetarians.

Vegans will only eat things that never had a face.

Vegetarians have degrees and tiers if what they can and cant.

Example some vegetarians might still include fish or animal products like milk eggs and cheese.

Veganism is the omission of all animal products, so very strict vegans definitely don’t eat meat, seafood, or eggs," And many don't eat honey or gelatin, either.

−6