Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TwoTon_TwentyOne OP t1_jd7wqld wrote

Plant based food is really stepping their game up. No longer just patties and formed sausages. This company is using essentially a 3D printer to interlace protein with fats and "blood" to make various replicated cuts of meat. I also tried their picanha steak but didn't get a photo before it go devoured. Texture and taste are as close as they've ever been to the real thing, but still a few years away from being indiscernible from actual steaks.

Weedtiger t1_jd814rg wrote

Tastiness on a scale of 1/10, just on its own if you wouldn't compare it to actual meat.

how expensive was it compared to actual meat?

TwoTon_TwentyOne OP t1_jd87j85 wrote

7/10.

I didn't pay for it... They're introducing it to investors and some industry players. Not yet imported into where I'm living/working. I think price will depend on distribution once market research is done. If it's anything like impossible when it first hit the market, it'll be comparable in price to high quality beef.

gothichuskydad t1_jd88ltr wrote

Any idea if it contained soy? If I get the opportunity to move to something sustainable in the future that'd be great. On the other hand I can't cook soy in my house, not even using soybean oil, because my wife has EOE and will be sick for days just smelling it.

Kizag t1_jd8qzlu wrote

Im going to throw out an idea.

Lobster used to be dirt cheap back in the early-mid 1900s to the point it was fed to prisoners and the lower class and labeled as Poor-Person meal. - Spoon University. Lobster is now getting more and more expensive that for some families it is a delicacy. I am wary that the new "Plant-Based Meat" will do the same thing to real meat. Many fast food places have veggie options to their patties/nuggets opening its doors to a vast market. Not saying fast food is eaten strictly by the poor but it is cheap. I am wary that by say 2030 we will see that plant based "meat" will be the norm and that real meat will now be the delicacy for the rich. I could also just be worrying for no reason but are there studies about the long term effects of eating these types of food? I mean there has to be chemicals used to make it look like real meat.

Alert-Jellyfish t1_jd9iqoi wrote

I no longer understand this world. Why not just scale back huge feedlot livestock practices to reduce methane? Or if ur on a meat free diet eat a plant? Seems like another way to make money of ultra processed foods and ignor the real issues with conventional commercial practices

ChefJohnJ t1_jd9qger wrote

Agreed but also I feel the need to make the plant stuff look and taste like meat often just seems like people in denial over what they or not happy with their choice. Since why not express the meals through the plants and not imitation of something everyone wants

Alert-Jellyfish t1_jd9s1js wrote

100% with just mushrooms alone you can imitate the mouth feel and taste of meat with a whole non processed ingredient that occurs naturally. Cut out all the laboratory middlemen and insane prices of fake stuff