Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

James--Trickington OP t1_jed5x1d wrote

I absolutely suck at writing up recipes but the steps and list of ingredients here are similar to mine but I like it really bold so I double the amount of aromats especially lemongrass and spices. And instead of chuck I used shank and tendon for the super thick and rich consistency from all the gelatin in both cuts. If you do use tendon, just keep in mind that they take longer to soften than the shank so then the shank reach your desired softness, fish them out and continue to cook the tendon until they're 90% put in the carrots then when that's done add back the shank

tapsongbong t1_jedau3x wrote

I think my family uses tendon and flank meat. Cook the meats separately as tendon takes a bit longer. We get the spices pre-made bag from ABC Supermarket (I live close to Orange County)

bag of space

She then adds a bunch of other aromatics and beef or chicken broth. Still she won't teach me this recipe.

kappakai t1_jedjz2h wrote

Yah boneless shank is one of the cuts we use to make Taiwanese beef noodle soup. It’s not the cross cut pieces of shank you see at western markets but more a long tubular piece that is usually wrapped in silver skin. When you cook it to death, it’s basically a cap of tendon over the meat, so you get some tendon and meat in a single bite. I’ve used it it bo kho before and works well.

neigetyro t1_jedmaiu wrote

have seen it called digital muscle as well!

Umoon t1_jeehl9w wrote

My wife makes Taiwanese beef noodle soup. It’s also fantastic!

tapsongbong t1_jedtmsw wrote

Isn't that meat used for Bun Bo Hue as well?

kappakai t1_jedv5r6 wrote

Couldn’t tell you I’ve never made bun bo hue. But it might be thin sliced shank. You can tell cause there’s usually a lot of tendon built into the shank. In Chinese we call it 牛腱, but 腱translates into tendon in my Chin/Eng dictionary.

the-cloverdale-kid t1_jeddqi4 wrote

Bag of space is the best typo ever as I am trying to figure out how to make this.

tapsongbong t1_jeddudr wrote

I didn't even realize the typo. It just made sense when i typed it. I'll leave it as is.

NoDoctor4460 t1_jeg6m2k wrote

Yours looks fantastic (I said “god it’s so rich” aloud), and the tendons add so much. This dish was included in my first time eating Vietnamese food, after moving to Oakland