Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

seemontyburns t1_itjmau3 wrote

A beautifully fried pork chop, but not exactly schnitzel

Edit: Folks, if you want to see how to make an actual schnitzel, and the difference between a fried cutlet, checkout out Kenjis recipe on NYT

−2

Akurei_RS t1_itk0in0 wrote

A schnitzel is just any meat that is thinned, usually by pounding, also usually crumbed. That is indeed a pork schnitzel.

xXtomtoXx t1_itkhj3d wrote

>The schnitzel is simply a bone in pork chop that I pounded thin and “dry-brined” with salt, pepper and mustard powder. Panko breadcrumbs for the added crunch.

this is everything but a real "schnitzel" mustard powder no, bone in also big no, bread crumbs yes, those looks like fried in cornflakes

Have to say tho looks delicious it is just not schnitzel

awcadwel OP t1_itkt1vu wrote

It’s in the spirit of schnitzel. I respect doing classic dishes to a T but it gets a little boring.

The bone-in is a fun presentation. The Panko Crumbs add a lovely crunch that I feel is missing sometime from classic schnitzel. The mustard powder was a last minute addition that added a nice body of flavor.

Not arguing with you, just throwing my thought process out there.

xXtomtoXx t1_itktb88 wrote

For the main question now tho was it good?

awcadwel OP t1_itktj7m wrote

It was incredible. Was actually my first time dabbling in a more authentic German coleslaw and I was so happy with it. The caraway and brightness really compliments the schnitzel so well.

xXtomtoXx t1_itktlqd wrote

Ok you have gone too far Schnitzel is Austrian

Edit: don’t get discouraged it’s just a meme by now that us austrians like to bitch about not cooking food one to one

awcadwel OP t1_itktuvx wrote

Haha hey if you’re going insult one country rich in culture, why not two!??

I live in a melting pot!

xXtomtoXx t1_itkty1n wrote

You are Scottish?

awcadwel OP t1_itku2f7 wrote

Filthy American actually!

xXtomtoXx t1_itku4ci wrote

Then I don’t get the pot joke

awcadwel OP t1_itkub62 wrote

Most American schools teach that the USA was a “melting pot” of cultures. But I do love pot.

xXtomtoXx t1_itkuexy wrote

I also love pot and now I understand what you mean

seemontyburns t1_itmunq9 wrote

OP made katsu. Schnitzel has a distinct, billowy breading with “waves” that come from swirling the pan (from a finer breadcrumb).