Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PM_ME_PARR0TS t1_j6f1mo8 wrote

Dude. The fat stripes on that salmon nigiri... Bet that shit melts in your mouth. I'd wreck this in a heartbeat.

ZenBarbarian67 t1_j6gzjxy wrote

The fat stripes on that salmon Tell you that it's farmed salmon. I'm not touching that with a 10-ft pole. The only reason it's even pink is the food coloring they put in the fish food.

−115

GerbilScream t1_j6h49v1 wrote

I'm copying my comment from below.

Farmed salmon is preferred for sushi as wild salmon is a high risk for parasites. In fact, salmon sushi wasn't really a thing before the 1980's with the introduction of pellet raised salmon farms.

peppnstuff t1_j6hgjpe wrote

Bet you tell people you eat wild Atlantic salmon aren't you....

ZenBarbarian67 t1_j6gzn1d wrote

Wild salmon. Do not support fish farming

−97

Buzzardz352 t1_j6h4pay wrote

Eating sustainably farmed salmon is better for the environment than eating wild salmon. If all of us would eat wild salmon there’d be no wild salmon.

Milanista333 t1_j6ha15y wrote

Fish farming is definitely a very good thing. I think people are a bit icky about salmon though because there have been several reports about unsafe/unethical farming practices in regards to salmon (particularly in Norway), but I think that the best we can do is probably just look for asc certifications and things of the sort when we buy fish

actually_checks_out t1_j6hag67 wrote

I always thought wild salmon was much riskier than farmed. At least in Japan it used it be

ValElTech t1_j6hev3o wrote

Flash freezed sushi graded wild salmon is safe.

I guess this is in the US so that might not apply here (amount of California rolls doesn't match most Japanese kaiten -or not- delivery sushi places).

peppnstuff t1_j6hgnsh wrote

All "sushi" grade fish in the US is flash Frozen

Avauru t1_j6heytt wrote

Depends on where. The Baltic Sea is full of dioxin, as is the Derwent River in Tasmania, both from paper production. Other places may have other forms of pollution.

ZenBarbarian67 t1_j6gzoyg wrote

Fish farming is destroying the wild salmon stocks on the British Columbia coast. I am not a hardcore environmentalist. This is just pretty much common knowledge here

−45

ISMMikey t1_j6gqfmk wrote

That Salmon definitely looks farmed tho. Some may like it, but that's a pass from me. I'm also wary of any place that covers their sushi in sauces. This just seems off.

−144

GerbilScream t1_j6gvqy7 wrote

Farmed salmon is preferred for sushi as wild salmon is a high risk for parasites. In fact, salmon sushi wasn't really a thing before the 1980's with the introduction of pellet raised salmon farms.

ISMMikey t1_j6i4zaj wrote

Ah yes, the farmed salmon industry FUD. This is why your sashimi grade wild salmon is always flash frozen. I am fortunate to live in an area where salmon fishing is easy to come by, and even have a side of my family that made their living as commercial fisherman.

The farmed salmon can have a massive ecological cost for the local area. Don't believe their BS.

−18

Kerbal634 t1_j6i7cyn wrote

Because our overfishing of wild fish definitely doesn't have any environmental impacts like releasing maybe half of the world's plastic trash

ISMMikey t1_j6l8xyo wrote

It definitely is, which is another reason to limit my salmon consumption. I'd much rather do that than consume the farmed stuff that is 'parasite free' since it's pumped full of antibiotics. Don't even get me started on the whole sea lice thing.

−1

PM_ME_PARR0TS t1_j6gqkl3 wrote

Huh, what specifically makes you say so?

tlst9999 t1_j6gqxmd wrote

Some restaurants use strong sauces for masking less fresh food.

[deleted] t1_j6grw2a wrote

[deleted]

−20

BigbooTho t1_j6h0p9g wrote

Imagine being so confident about something so fucking wrong and stupid.