Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

StevenTM t1_j6eqnnt wrote

What exactly do you think the ingredients at taco bell are? Can you.. like.. not see them slice the lettuce and tomatoes? They do it open air style in all the ones I've been at.

elanhilation t1_j6eyroi wrote

there’s a distinct artificiality to Taco Bell ingredients in my neck of the woods. meat, sour cream, cheese, all feel subtly off

BadCaseOfClams t1_j6ezr3r wrote

Ya. Taco Bell ingredients are like the version of an item from an alternate universe with like… one degree of separation from our own. It’s like… the uncanny valley of food. Is this nacho cheese? Or is this make believe? That’s how it tastes. Like pretend food.

davenobody t1_j6fbhis wrote

I suspect the texture of the ingredients at taco bell are due to extended shelf life properties.

StevenTM t1_j6fe4fd wrote

So.. same as most products that you can get at a supermarket that aren't organic/are cheap. Bland tasting tomatoes that are just barely pink inside, watery and flavorless lettuce, average or below quality American cheese, the cheapest ground beef with 15-20% "connective tissue and other" and sub 10% fat (which is what gives it flavor).

Pretty sure if I make a taco with the cheapest of the above that I can find at Aldi it'll be indistinguishable (taste-wise) from one from taco bell

That said, their chicken has always been tasty (to me), and some stuff like the crunchwrap supreme was pretty consistently great.

−1

davenobody t1_j6fhg7g wrote

I like Taco Bell sometimes too. I don't think organic has anything to do with it either. The place I described did crazy volume and went really fresh with their ingredients. Isn't fancy or expensive either. They also feed the 2am tossed out of the bar crowd. So they have a unique set of strengths that make them worth a drive to experience.