Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

grumblyoldman t1_ix6c5ad wrote

My daughter (5) the other week was trying to convince me that "dairy" was a grain now "because they changed the food groups and dairy isn't a food group any more." She was legit getting angry about it, too.

I was just standing there trying to explain that "dairy is still dairy even if it's not a specific food group in the dietary guidelines" in a way that wouldn't get me yelled at.

AfterAardvark3085 t1_ixe7hvd wrote

I mean... if the food group doesn't exist anymore, then the contents are likely to be moved to another group instead. So if dairy products are moved to the grain food group, then they would be both dairy products and grains.

Kinda like how a tomato is both a fruit and a plant.

grumblyoldman t1_ixecd4f wrote

Sigh.

"Dairy" has a specific meaning outside of the food groups, as does "grain." Those meanings do not shift just because someone decided to reorganize the food groups. Dairy goes in the "Protein" bucket with the new order, because dairy does have protein in it.

Also, all fruits are plants. That's not analogous to the dairy vs grain question, it would be more comparable to a "dairy vs food" debate (in which case the answer is fairly clear.)

The debate about tomatoes is whether they are a fruit or a vegetable. And the answer is that they are a fruit biologically, but they get used culinarily as a vegetable.