Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TONKAHANAH t1_j7t19wo wrote

you can do it now with HoloISO, assuming you have an AMD card.

it would be nice to see valve put some effort into getting a system agnostic iso out into the world that they're supporting, or at least pay someone to work on it. I've not heard of them putting any sort of priority into getting a standard system ISO outinto the wild.

only thing that exists right now is HoloISO which is basically just the steamdeck recovery image cobbled together with other standard linux stuffs to make it work. It used to work with nvidia but according to the HoloISO page, its been updated with stuff that makes it just not work with nvidia at all.

​

the other issue currently is that kde via SteamOS isnt set to use wayland for some reason. that probably wouldnt be an issue in most cases, but it does feel like we're ready to move on from X11 and I'd prefer to see wayland be the default on an offical steamOS iso

PC-hris t1_j7t25jf wrote

I’ve tried using HoloISO but it didn’t really work out. I only have Nvidia graphics cards

TONKAHANAH t1_j7t3gzb wrote

yeah as it stands a lot of SteamOS relies on having AMD graphical chipsets to work properly which makes me think a standard ISO isnt gonna happen any time soon.

PC-hris t1_j7vupz4 wrote

They did say they plan to make a general use version of the os. Hopefully they do it soon

TONKAHANAH t1_j7w9eee wrote

Yeah but that was a long time ago and they've not made a single mention of it since.

I was expecting them to do this before updating big picture mode cuz that didn't seem like a high priority yet here we are.

Suppose maintaining a whole os for various hardware is more complicated though. Would be nice to hear if they've put any work into it.