Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

aDDnTN t1_j7ubtce wrote

you definitely have used linux in your life.

have you ever used an atm? ever used a self-checkout? every looked at a live menu screen?

your smart phone uses a linux based os. playstation OS is linux.

if you ever used an electronic interface that had to be reliable, it was most likely linux based.

ever used a home wifi router? nas? a media player? your smart TV apps? all have OS based on linux.

Poyojo t1_j7ubz9q wrote

Sorry, what I really meant to say was "I've never used Linux as the primary OS on my home computer in my life"

aDDnTN t1_j7ud5f3 wrote

me neither! but i have 3 libreelec +kodi media players, a rasbian server, pihole, and a gameboy shaped emulator kit, all running linux.

i have to use guides while i'm working on things to explain how. i'm practically stumbling in the dark and have no idea if what i'm doing is right, but i'm trying to learn.

3dforlife t1_j7w7siw wrote

The atms, at least in Portugal, are driven by windows XP.

barfplanet t1_j7xy243 wrote

Just to be a know-it-all, the playstation OS is built on freeBSD.

3dforlife t1_j7w7zfc wrote

The Switch is the most reliable electronics I have. Is it OS based on Linux?

aDDnTN t1_j7wig0a wrote

it's running on a tegra so probably, let's check the wiki.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Switch_system_software

> Proprietary OS, derivative of Nintendo 3DS system software (partially Unix-like via certain components which are based on FreeBSD and Android)

probably depends on if you consider "unix-like" to be different from "linux-like".

barfplanet t1_j7xygo5 wrote

The Switch OS is really not linux-based at all. It uses a pretty unique micro-kernel instead of Linux. It does have similar (unix-like) architecture, but pretty much every OS other than Windows also does.