Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

extra_specticles t1_j8d2npt wrote

EDIT; So downvotes for pointing out that mainstream Chinese hardware will not be enough and that OS support is needed. And just to be clear I love Linux and have been using it since the 90s. It has never been mainstream consumer or business desktop/laptop will not so easily. Servers yes, desktops - no. No matter what you wish.

China may well make lots of components but the only OS they'll be able to make is Linux. Linux does not and will not have mainstream consumer and business appeal. The only OS that will come close is Android. I seriously doubt any Chinese laptop and Linux will get mainstream consumer and business appeal in the massive market of Europe/America/APAC. That's where the market for these is - and it won't happen. Windows and MacOS are far too entrenched for Android to have done anything in that space - and they've had years to try.

−14

AloofPenny t1_j8d3oab wrote

Really? also, what are you even talking about. They didn’t used to make Windows or iOS for arm, but they do now. But keep shitting on something that still doesn’t even actually exist yet.

extra_specticles t1_j8d41ne wrote

ARM Windows has existed for absolutely years. First version was in 2011 iIIRC. I'm not shitting on things I don't know about - I'm just pointing out how I've seen the market evolve.

KingdomOfBullshit t1_j8dh00o wrote

Windows CE on ARM has an even longer history. I still miss my HP Jornada 720 with it's StrongARM SA-1110. Pretty sure I had that before or right around Y2K.

moepsenstreusel t1_j8dx6y4 wrote

Yeah, but Windows CE wasn't in any meaningful sense Windows.

It was one of the generation of puny, souped-up embedded OSes (Symbian, BlackBerry) that slimmed-down, desktop-class OSes iOS and Android killed.

KingdomOfBullshit t1_j8dy4eu wrote

Honestly though, Windows CE was the best of these for me. It had a proper GUI, networking support, compatibility with PowerPoint/Word/Excel, awesome battery life, good support for printing and external displays and a decent SDK. It lacked win32 support but it checked all the other boxes for me. Couldn't say that about any palm pilot I had.

Edit: forgot to mention that, of course I agree it was a different beast than windows

AloofPenny t1_j8d4jc2 wrote

https://amp.scmp.com/tech/big-tech/article/3178109/tech-war-china-bets-open-source-risc-v-chip-design-minimise-potential there you go. There’s the market. It exists already. Because the US forced it

extra_specticles t1_j8d4uqw wrote

Yes and like I said it may be the case for China. But outside of the restrictions on China - the most massive laptop markets do not use Linux. And it's won't happen in those markets until major desktop OS support is created from Windows and perhaps MacOs (which I doubt)

Arentanji t1_j8e4mdl wrote

It would be interesting to see what will develop in a new ecosystem where Windows and Intel do not dominate.

Pure_Swing2184 t1_j8d3qr7 wrote

No business appeal = 98% of all cloud and server market

−4

extra_specticles t1_j8d4ajw wrote

I said "mainstream consumer and business appeal" this whole thread is about laptops, not servers. Linux OWNS the server space. Linux does not have any mainstream appeal in the LAPTOP space. No matter how much you try to take that quote out of context.