Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

crimsonblueku t1_jawopff wrote

This isn’t anything new. USB C cables need to be rated and certified for power draw and data transfer. Do you think a $10 USB C cable from Amazon could fast charge any phone or offer TB3 speeds? Heck no.

quadrangle3136 t1_jb2h06j wrote

Yes, easily. The standards already exist - this is simply apple being apple.

TheCh0rt t1_jayq2uz wrote

No, however if they gimp the general high quality USBC cable in favor of their cables, it’s obvious it’s gimped because iPhone power draw really isn’t that great against a 100w standard.

Pristine-Today4611 t1_jb006eq wrote

Exactly this is already implemented with charging cables today. Even with an Apple cord today has to be MFI-certified to get the full capability of charging.

TheSporkBomber t1_jbev9rl wrote

The funny thing is my daily driver cables are 2 for $10 anker cables that do 60W charging just fine. The 100W cables are 2 for $15 on Amazon.

crimsonblueku t1_jbex3f7 wrote

But they don’t do high speed data and fast charging.

TheSporkBomber t1_jbf1t7h wrote

>Do you think a $10 USB C cable from Amazon could fast charge any phone or offer TB3 speeds?

Then:

>But they don’t do high speed data and fast charging.

Ah, so it's high speed AND charging now. Moving goal posts?

My S22U does super fast charging just fine on the cheap anker cables. Super fast charging is 25W; the better test is that I use them for my laptops which are 65W minimum. 3.2 Gen 2 cables are around $15 and can get 10gpbs which is both high power and high speed data. The state of the industry has gotten much better than it was a few years ago.

frontiermanprotozoa t1_jbu4gld wrote

IF ONLY there was a way for cables and devices to indicate whats their maximum power delivery capability.

IF ONLY there was a standard thats backward compatible from 20 gbps to 1,5mbps data transfer speeds.