Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pseudocultist t1_jb6zzgf wrote

Apple TV is fine. Actually better than fine if you use HomeKit. Pricey but that’s their way. Considering the other ones subsidize the price with ads. It’s a necessary trade-off I guess.

Dirk_The_Cowardly t1_jb85lbn wrote

My Fire HD 4k is great and I run like 5 services through it and works so much better than my smart tv software.

I have 4 tv's with it. Awesome over smart tv, Roku, or other crap.

Zetavu t1_jb9jpjm wrote

Same, I just ignore the main selections and go to the apps directly. Sideload Kodi for my own collection off my NAS and I am good to go. My Soni has Android TV which is just tolerable enough so I leave it there but all other tv's have been turned "dumb" and use Firetv devices.

theo2112 t1_jbbh9op wrote

Are they pricey? A new appletv costs $150. Let’s assume you don’t even have an iPhone, so some of the “apple” features like airplay, HomeKit, etc don’t even matter. Is that really expensive for a box that will give you AT LEAST 3 years of use every single day?

It will always have the latest apps and updates (small exception being google video apps, but those features come) because of the huge install base and higher end hardware. The interface is better than every other competitor and has zero in your face ads (the closest thing is the top bar if you select TV as a top bar app, but that’s almost a feature) it doesn’t suck up your habits and data and is kept updated overtime.

It’s expensive in comparison to the other junk in the space, but that’s just because those are subsidized by the ads and tracking. And they’re rarely updated, and the experience sucks, and, and, and.

DVD players were always more than $150 until the very end. Nobody said they were expensive and they only could do one thing.