Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

androcules t1_jbjfvrl wrote

This thing is $200. The cheapest steam deck is $399, for some perspective.

Komikaze06 t1_jbk076f wrote

This thing should be like no more than $40 for what it does

NotAnADC t1_jbk7c92 wrote

I think context is important. Valve, just like Microsoft and Sony, can sell their consoles at a loss. They can do this because they make up the price in game sales through their ecosystem.

Other tech that doesn’t have a secondary market will never be able to compete with that.

Play date has a much smaller eco system, and games seem to range around $10 rather than the AAA $50-$70. Also it comes with 20+ games.

I don’t think this device is for everyone, not even for me. But for those that this is marketed towards, they seem to enjoy it a lot.

6SixTy t1_jbvbyub wrote

Valve made a PC, not a console. Once its in your hands, you can do whatever you want hardware or software wise. Very big distinction to make.

And yeah, I had to make a correction +2d after your comment it was that off

−1

ObjectiveEar t1_jbrixrm wrote

do you use this as a dildo?

while in an affiliate program with them, muthafucka what makes you think they wont do the same thing 6 months down the line?

even the author of the article sold out to shill this crap, stfu.

−7

TheKittyNomad t1_jbm5j4d wrote

includes 26 games, which averages to about $8 each completely ignoring the hardware itself. And it’s pretty surprisingly capable, given that and its size. (Seriously, the thing’s hardly larger than a saltine cracker. You gotta see it to believe it honestly)

ObjectiveEar t1_jbrj49y wrote

yea, the author should have defended the product rather then selling out by stupid comparisons to the giants.

Tebasaki t1_jbkki32 wrote

I remember one time I went to a fast food chain and order a set meal. Then I paid an extra $2.50 and got free fries!

TheKittyNomad t1_jbm6kxy wrote

I feel like the free games are more of an attempt to alleviate the price increase— not only does everyone who bought at original price get them, but you can still buy it at original price for a month and get the games. Yeah, the price increase sucks, but the new games are still pretty much free

Tebasaki t1_jbo81e9 wrote

I get that. It's a lot more service than some of the largest companies when they arbitrarily bump price because greed

TA8601 t1_jbmk42o wrote

I preordered mine 19 months ago and I don't expect to get it for at least another 5-6 months.

Neo_Techni t1_jbnokd2 wrote

Jesus. That's twice as long as it took to get my Analogue Pocket

MadOrange64 t1_jbqgbcz wrote

I was one of the lucky one's who were in the first batch. Its a fun little toy with a surprisingly good build quality but don't expect much. The screen is unusable in a dark environment.

ObjectiveEar t1_jbrj9nh wrote

jokes on you, there's a reason why the steam deck exists.

pwner t1_jblvpdq wrote

It's sold out until late 2023, for all those complaining about price.

nickthaskater t1_jbtog8d wrote

There was no reason to not use a black and white OLED panel in this. They're not expensive.

That's literally what stopped me from buying one.

[deleted] t1_jbk8wkb wrote

[deleted]

−3