Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Taniwha26 t1_jbpnq3f wrote

I live with 2 sales managers (quite high up) who have laptops, iPads and phones.

All top of the line and replaced every 2 years. The tech is all so overpowered for what they use, which is email, web and spreadsheets.

I truly believe Chromebooks could replace 80% of white collar laptops.

Djaaf t1_jbq39c2 wrote

Never underestimate the ability of people to torture excel files. I've seen entire oil refinery models running in an excel spreadsheet and trust me, you'll need every bit of power from a core I7 and 32Gb of ram to make it work...

EggyT0ast t1_jbqc4ff wrote

And when the sales rep has somehow put every opportunity, follow-up, and other details in that spreadsheet, in a convoluted, impossible-to-understand way (unless you are that individual), as both a "workflow" and "job security" (instead of a more sane option like Salesforce), and the spreadsheet is so large after just a few months that you need something overpowered to even get past the Preview screen...

HARD_GAY_BUTT_MASTER t1_jbtn3pp wrote

I don’t think I’ve been more frustrated than having to treat a live excel file as a database and having to update it with like 6 other people who fight to filter or sort it in a specific way and delete values on accident and blame the other person.