Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Hyalus33 t1_itu73nc wrote

This is way overpriced. Hopefully in the coming years we can see prices like we did in the 90’s

uncoolcat t1_itumljr wrote

It is not overpriced if you are one of the people that the service is intended for. I have Starlink myself because the only other Internet option in my area is dial-up or other satellite Internet providers (which are far more expensive than Starlink).

OcculusSniffed t1_itw3pgo wrote

No kidding. Sell my house, buy an RV, and travel the country while working a full time remote gig? Hell yeah

Hyalus33 t1_itx5bnx wrote

We also use this service. Still feel it’s overpriced. 🤷

uncoolcat t1_itzw24q wrote

That's fair; it's certainly expensive when compared to ground-based broadband.

Compared to other satellite Internet services I've used it's substantially faster and less expensive, plus not having a data cap is a huge bonus.

seanbrockest t1_ituazei wrote

You had mobile broadband services available to you in the 90s?

uncoolcat t1_itunmdx wrote

Not the OP, but I had a cable modem in '98. I believe that it was 1.5 mbps down and 256 kbps up, and I think it cost ~$50 a month (which was a steal because it meant being able to get rid of a second phone line that had been dedicated to Internet use). I got super lucky though, because it turned out the local cable company used that very rural area as a testing ground for new equipment (I heard they did so there due to the harsh weather). Some people in that same area were able to get cable modems as early as '96.

seanbrockest t1_itupz32 wrote

I also had a cable modern in roughly '97, at roughly the speed you quoted.

Starlink is over 100x faster, and this is about a mobile option. Literally no comparison.