Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

elton_john_lennon t1_j1bbkb9 wrote

Not owning a copy and being able to play it whenever you want is what makes me sad as well.

Streaming platforms can take down whatever they want at any moment, HBO Max is taking down Westworld from the platform, and I feel like the newest season was uploaded yesterday..

Maktesh t1_j1brb6h wrote

Agreed. I'm not pro-piracy in an unrestricted sense, but I will resort to whatever means necessary to preserve the media I love.

Insofar as quality goes, the difference between watching (true) 4K UHD on disk vs. a compressed steam is quite noticeable. The recent remaster of The Lord of the Rings trilogy is a great example.

1. Actual ownership
  2. Tangible display
  3. Overall quality

These are reasons enough to maintain some physicality in media.

Dirtylicious t1_j1bvf18 wrote

They already took it down. I was in the middle of binging and it was suddenly gone. I thought i had until the end of the year.

PerpetualCalamity t1_j1bxwzi wrote

Aww, wtf. I didn't even get a chance to watch the last season, it was taken down today. I usually pause my subscriptions during the summer thru winter holidays and start them back up again for the slow winter months into spring.

Two_Coast_Man t1_j1byxws wrote

Consider yourself lucky. I wish someone had told me it was cancelled after season 2 and then I just never found out about the other seasons. It's like season 8 of GOT but somehow makes less sense.