Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TheMacMan OP t1_j2t1t8x wrote

Interesting that it's build on Apple's MagSafe.

>WPC member, Apple®, provided the basis for the new Qi2 standard building on its MagSafe® technology. Apple® and other WPC members developed the new Magnetic Power Profile, which is at the core of Qi2. Qi2’s Magnetic Power Profile will ensure that phones or other rechargeable battery-powered mobile products are perfectly aligned with charging devices, thus providing improved energy efficiency and faster charging.

FishermanPrize t1_j2t8cc7 wrote

Apple wants to use magsafe as a means to get rid of the USB-C Port (on iphone 15 and above) so this makes sense that they'd just drop the magsafe part into the next standard. (It'll help keep the regulations that they've faced with lightning cables down to a minimum this way)

Lets other companies build up on magsafe attachments, apple then gets to license out magsafe compliance for iphones or someshit like they do with lightning cables.

It'll also let more consumers build up magsafe charging docks and make those more widespread which will enable apples transition to portless even easier.

But anyway fucking hype: magsafe has been one of the best things for mounting phones onto stuff in such a long time.

TheMacMan OP t1_j2ta32d wrote

The idea that Apple wants to do away with all physical jacks is all speculation. There's been zero indication from them that they really want to do so.

While the press release doesn't include much on the spec, I'd assume that if they're integrating MagSafe tech into this, Apple is allowing them to utilize their standards without fee. If there was a licensing fee, other companies aren't going to utilize Qi2.

MINIMAN10001 t1_j2w31vv wrote

As a consumer I can tell you've I've been bitten by physical wires too many times. It's gotten to the point where I no longer value physical jacks where reasonable.

Unless you can make something like a Nintendo switch dock with its self aligning connector dock I'm pretty burnt on physical connections.

I've also heard a lot of stories of other people having bad luck with cables and their phones in person.

So I wouldn't put it past the phone industry on moving towards that idea in the future.

It's like when I told my brother I no longer planned to get a CD drive for my computer. For the time he thought it was a silly idea. However steam took off and it became the norm.

I'm expecting the same with phones and charging cables.

However phones have a much broader range of prices than your home computer so the lower the cost the phone, the more likely a physical connection.

But apple and samsung would be at the top of my list for people most likely to make such a move.

−4

Senior1292 t1_j2wb8gi wrote

>But apple and samsung would be at the top of my list for people most likely to make such a move.

Apple will do it first, then Samsung will put out an ad mocking the move only to do the same thing in the next phone iteration or two, as is tradition.

ecclesiasticalme t1_j2ws57t wrote

What has some innovated before Android/Samsung in the last 10 years?

−1

FishermanPrize t1_j2tbxk3 wrote

No the fee is for companies to make products that are tested to be safe with whatever extra things apple is gonna toss onto the Qi2 standard for iphones specifically. For instance If I took an apple magsafe charger and tried to use it with android for instance it cap out at like 5w of power. But a regular certified QI charger would still hit at least 7.5w on an iphone.

And while it's speculation, moves like this would seem to indicate that it's what they're working towards. It's not like that speculation comes out of nowhere.

−5

GhostalMedia t1_j2vou0i wrote

I’m not fully convinced of that. MagSafe only phones are pure speculation, and not supported by any of the reliable people that drop Apple’s manufacturing and supply chain leaks.

Qi2 will launch at up to 15w, like MagSafe. That’s half of what an iPhone can charge at. So Qi only phones would basically be a massive downgrade for people who want fast charging.

FishermanPrize t1_j2vr0nr wrote

Apple won't go fully portless until qi charging is more widespread and most wireless charging use is tossing it on the charger before bed or in the car.

It's the tactic they used with usbc->lightning cables. Toss it into the eight, let USBc market mature for two years then start including the cable in iPhone 11s.

TactlessTortoise t1_j2wa1u9 wrote

Yeah, one thing I always thought was nifty. Glad it's coming to more phones, since I wouldn't change to Apple just for that feature.

ecclesiasticalme t1_j2wsf4p wrote

Quick charge cannot be done wirelessly. Most people use quick charge regularly. People would drop apple if no charging port was present.

FishermanPrize t1_j2wtz65 wrote

There's 23w wireless charging with pixel 7 pro. That's faster than what most people have for charging blocks.

And I think you vastly underestimate how many regular iPhone users make sure they use quick charge... Which is only done with USBc and a lightning cable.

And that's at 20w which is what the iPhone 13 maxes out at unless it's a pro which is 27w but only for a short period.

Ludwig234 t1_j2xqvc8 wrote

As long as the iPhone is advertised as good for filming, it needs a data port. It amazes me that apple sold it's pro filming features in a phone with only usb 2.0. so you never know I guess.

FishermanPrize t1_j2xvj8v wrote

Apple will probably use the mmwave antennas and some special dock to do really quick data transfers from it when fully portless

Ludwig234 t1_j2y0vxl wrote

I know apple is petty but they aren't that petty.

i-void-warranties t1_j2tagls wrote

Guessing this is going to hose all the people who keep a credit card or id in the phone case.

TheMacMan OP t1_j2tfc0i wrote

They won't harm credit cards next to your phone in your pocket. Like current phones, you don't want your credit cards between the phone and charger.

Shouldn't really change anything from how things are now.

Littleobe2 t1_j2vyw2h wrote

Most prepaid and some mid range still dont have qi at all, maybe work on that first!

−2