Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Redseve t1_j3sdsgh wrote

Does it spy on you?

Laumser t1_j3t961k wrote

They will never live this down, and god damn do they deserve it

gn01145600 t1_j3u96bj wrote

It’s a China based company it’s expected at this point.

[deleted] t1_j3uxhou wrote

[deleted]

Laumser t1_j3vsafm wrote

Just like 1-2 weeks before the news broke I had to decide on a drop in battery powered home surveillance solution, and I was so close to choosing eufy, went with ring in the end cause if somebody wants to watch me naked inside my home they better be free and American!

FFFalk t1_j45m6tt wrote

And US companies are different?

longhegrindilemna t1_j41b3y3 wrote

So Facebook never does this?

And Amazon never does this?

Personal data is valuable. When corporations have it, there is temptation to sell it.

Trying to pin that temptation only on a single race or country, might be maybe missing the point a little bit, maybe.

−2

CantBeMadifYouBad t1_j427gdy wrote

Those companies will tell you they are collecting your data. Eufy said their cameras were local storage only (people shouldn't be required to know how push notifications get sent to their phones) then ended up not encrypting it to the point of users in other countries getting access to people's home feeds.

Axman6 t1_j4ftuo1 wrote

Eufy specifically marketed their product as keeping al, your data in your home, then sent images to the cloud, and allowed anyone in the world to CONNECT TO ANY CAMERA WITH JUST VLC, WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION. And then when the news broke, they flatly denied it, when it was trivial to show it was true. They could barely have handled it worse.

ahecht t1_j4q7r41 wrote

Without authentication, as long as you knew the serial number for that specific camera (and the serial numbers are non-sequential 16-digit alphanumeric strings that would take longer than the age of the universe to guess).

Axman6 t1_j4q9bj5 wrote

IIRC there were only 65536 possible urls, but off the top of my head I can’t remember the source I got that from.

ahecht t1_j4qityi wrote

The URL included the serial number (with 8 million-million-million-million possibilities) plus a 4-digit code (65536 possibilities), but a lot of tech reporting these days is a giant game of telephone so many article did incorrectly say that there were only 65536 possibilities.

Ninety8Balloons t1_j3vreip wrote

Isn't most of Anker just cables and charging things?

harryoe t1_j3ximb4 wrote

A subsidiary of them who made home security cameras was caught for uploading video when they claimed they weren't

Axman6 t1_j4ftxvd wrote

Not upload, live streaming, without any authentication, so ever worse.