Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

asyrin25 t1_j5jlqsu wrote

Playing on the Steam Deck's trackpad is a pain in the ass.

As Valve points out, the steam deck is just a PC. It doesn't have special, cheaper "gaming" parts.

StarGaurdianBard t1_j5jmf9y wrote

For the vast majority of things that would require a track pad you have joysticks. There is a huge difference in the feel of a track pad vs a joystick.

As for the parts difference, you really can't think of a reason why anything extraneous in a laptop not needing to be present for a mobile device would allow for a budget to be different?

asyrin25 t1_j5jmqtv wrote

I also have controllers that are going to be better than the deck's sticks and buttons. They're small and portable.

​

>As for the parts difference, you really can't think of a reason why anything extraneous in a laptop not needing to be present for a mobile device would allow for a budget to be different?

Can you be specific what you think is missing that's significantly detracting from the price? What is the deck missing that prevents it from having the functionality of a laptop?

StarGaurdianBard t1_j5jnhqo wrote

If you are busting out a mouse and controllers with your laptop there is no fucking way I'm believing you use it anywhere outside of environments like your home. Imagine trying to play a laptop with a controller on a subway vs a steam deck.

Care to link a decent gaming laptop for $400?

asyrin25 t1_j5jp3c7 wrote

Why would I need a mouse? As you pointed out, joysticks work fine.
Just off the top of my head, I'd pit this HP against the steam deck. Especially at the deck's resolution.
At the $650 I paid for my deck it's even easier.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G8SK2KK/