Submitted by Gladiolus_00 t3_127zk8k in gaming

Genshin Impact is massively popular. At this point it's basically a gaming phenomenon. Though, what's just as big as it's fanbase is it's dedicated group of haters. But I think what they don't realise is that they actually have more in common with each other than they think! Most notably, their wit and humour.. take that how you will.

Anyway, I am quite curious. Regardless of what side you're on, if any, what do you think of the game? I'm hoping to not see too much anecdotal evidence and lousy reasoning and such in order to make room for productive discussion, but I know I can't expect that kind of intellect from either side, so I'll take anything.

The purpose in this post is 2 things.

1. My own curiousity

2. I want to formulate my own proper unbiased opinion. I know I can't do that on my own, so input from others would really help me see things from a different perspective.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on all aspects of the game.

The main ones are probably gameplay, music, graphics, the community and of course, gacha(though I know there is little positivity to be said about this aspect, I still want to hear some thoughts).

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mephnick t1_jegj2ad wrote

Gameplay is great. The combat system is fun and fairly deep. The exploration leads to some great views.

The music is probably the best music in gaming. Not hyperbole.

The graphics and design are really nice and suit the game well.

The gacha sucks, but is not required at all to enjoy the game.

The community in game has always been super nice to me. The community on reddit is..a mixed bag. The community anywhere else is..worse.

Posh_biscuit t1_jegliye wrote

Everything about it is great really. It's biggest short-coming might be the fact that it's a live service gacha.

I think this game would've been massively successful if it were made like a classic RPG, though on a smaller scale of course. No gacha, no live service, just many hours of pure fun and enjoyment that you can look back on with fondness.

Still, it's a good game all in all. Falls short in a few areas like story, but excells at other points like music, graphics and overall gameplay.

Ok-Elk7173 t1_jeglu7o wrote

What I think is the game is good that the only limit is itself.

It has good gameplay, graphic, design, soundtracks and ambition of the dev but I got bored after 2 hours because move sets of enemies are not challenging enough for me.

The limit I metioned is because it's a mobile game so it has energy system and gacha system. I have no problem with gacha games but Genshin just doesn't have enough contents that keep me hook. Also, Genshin still need more end game contents, I don't want to count spiral abyss but that would be the only "end game" content for now.

For me, Genshin(and all gacha games I still play) is not my main game so I can drop it anytime until something interest me to come back.

Gladiolus_00 OP t1_jegpy93 wrote

Endgame is probably the number 1 concern of all players, including myself. Hopefully the developers wake up and realise that if they don't do something about it, they'll regret it later on

EtheusRook t1_jegnxh2 wrote

The good gameplay serves to make it a Trojan horse for a terrible business model. It's potentially the most damaging game in the industry.

Gladiolus_00 OP t1_jegp389 wrote

Yep, gacha is not the best system in the world, though I have to say, calling Genshin Impact "the most damaging game in the industry" might be a bit of an exaggeration.(my interpretation) Genshin's current monetization tactic seems to be to gather many players to spend small amounts of money. This, all be it still harmful, is not as damaging as other games that encourage its small but loyal fanbase to spend life crippling amounts of money.

What do you think of that?

EtheusRook t1_jegrinv wrote

I say it's the most damaging because of what it represents for other games. It shows the likes of EA and Ubisoft that if they make a half decent game, they can sell waifus through all the lootboxes they want.

mcboogle t1_jegiypj wrote

It's ok. *shrug* Like most gacha games it has very little actual substance beyond collection.

Gladiolus_00 OP t1_jegl06s wrote

Interesting, though a little vague. What exactly constitutes "substance" in the context of video games, and what of that is absent in Genshin Impact and most Gacha games?

mcboogle t1_jegn10e wrote

The gameplay loop is designed to be a cash grab. Endgame you just do dailies/weeklies and get whatever free currency they provide to collect more characters in a game that stopped being fun weeks ago. You didn't realize it wasn't fun any more because the next slot machine pull could finally give you the character you've been working all month to get, so that you can.... what exactly? Grind dailies with a different character?

Gladiolus_00 OP t1_jegoi45 wrote

So, you are saying that substance is essentially what people in the industry call "endgame"? That is a popular concern among players of Genshin Impact, especially after HoYoverse publically announced that they have no plans for adding endgame into Genshin Impact. Quite a valid complaint if I do say so myself, though I do think that "substance" does imply a different connotation to an unaware person such as me.

Thank you that's really helpful!

WoodenResource2269 t1_jegm9e7 wrote

I did try this game, it just didn't grab me. I did think the visuals were really nice but everything else just felt, I don't know, empty? I remember trying to read things about it, people saying the characters were great, etc. etc. but I just didn't find that and just couldn't get into it. I know that fairy thing that you wake up next to had the most annoying voice I ever heard. It just clashed with everything else.

Gladiolus_00 OP t1_jegpsdb wrote

Well, it's impossible to like every game of course, but you did bring up a popular complaint about the fairies voice. Thanks for your answer :)

Jordanmac7 t1_jegqhnj wrote

I played for maybe a year..maybe a little longer. Gameplay is good but there is no endgame and the devs admitted they do not have plans on adding endgame systems. You grind for gear/artifacts and to build up your characters but there is no real reason to even do so. The good news is that you really dont need to spend money. You get a decent amount of currency to roll with just from playing, and the game is not hard even if you dont spend to get 5 stars. All the content is very easy to complete without doing this. So for me while I did enjoy the game there was just no reason to continue pushing. Maybe one day ill come back and catch up in the story, but once im caught up again there is no reason to keep going.

R3dscarf t1_jegv1oq wrote

Fantastic game considering it's completely f2p. The story is great, the gameplay is fun and the gacha system is overall pretty fair.

Of course there are a lot of haters but that's just one of the things that comes with being successful. You won't find a single game without haters, no matter how good it is. From my experience most people hating on it haven't even played it and simply decided to jump on the bandwagon.

But don't listen to me or anyone else here really. It's f2p, try it out for yourself.

someanimeguy1234 t1_jeh1d94 wrote

Coworker tried to get me into it, but I just bounced off the tutorial. Maybe I will go back to give it a try again later.

ajqx t1_jeh4emb wrote

the deisgn is cringe but the game is very good

FaceTimePolice t1_jeh4zpj wrote

It was fun for me up to a certain point. I played through the end of the main story (before any major updates/expansions). I loved the exploration… every area seemed to be teeming with secrets to find and puzzles to solve. The gameplay itself was pretty smooth and fast-paced, and it was fun to experiment with different builds and characters. I played it for about a month after its initial release. After that, when it became a grind fest, I quickly grew tired of it. I know they’ve updated it since then, but I think I’m done with that game. I have things to do and don’t need another grindfest that will eat up even more of my time.

I know people hate it because it’s a gacha game, but I didn’t spend a single penny.

Predatory gacha bs aside, it’s an otherwise great game up until the point in which it turns into a grindfest. If you’re wondering if it’s worth playing, yes, it is. It’s free. You only spend what you want to, but I advise against it. Drop rates aren’t what they should be, and you can certainly make due with the characters that the game gives you. I did. 🤷‍♂️😅👍

himynameisyoda t1_jeh129o wrote

Trash waste of entertainment time manipulative redundant. Spending time doing dailies and fomo you could be playing the thousands of other actual good and rewarding games instead

Gladiolus_00 OP t1_jeh190n wrote

Not a fan of dailies huh?

himynameisyoda t1_jeh1f8l wrote

Rat race sim working in game for rng rewards, gated content if it's not mind numbingly easy . Might as well move to China.