Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Gladiolus_00 OP t1_jegl06s wrote

Interesting, though a little vague. What exactly constitutes "substance" in the context of video games, and what of that is absent in Genshin Impact and most Gacha games?

mcboogle t1_jegn10e wrote

The gameplay loop is designed to be a cash grab. Endgame you just do dailies/weeklies and get whatever free currency they provide to collect more characters in a game that stopped being fun weeks ago. You didn't realize it wasn't fun any more because the next slot machine pull could finally give you the character you've been working all month to get, so that you can.... what exactly? Grind dailies with a different character?

Gladiolus_00 OP t1_jegoi45 wrote

So, you are saying that substance is essentially what people in the industry call "endgame"? That is a popular concern among players of Genshin Impact, especially after HoYoverse publically announced that they have no plans for adding endgame into Genshin Impact. Quite a valid complaint if I do say so myself, though I do think that "substance" does imply a different connotation to an unaware person such as me.

Thank you that's really helpful!