Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

wowbobwow OP t1_jech0v5 wrote

I was a 90's kid with no money, so I mostly got to experience the 3D game revolution vicariously through my classmates. One of them was the first kid in my town to get a Sega Saturn, and she was kind enough to let me play it a few times after school. Needless to say, my mind was totally blown. It took nearly 30 years, but I'm excited to report that I finally have one of my own now!

I'm excited to dive into the library for this amazing machine - what games would you guys suggest I seek out?

Mulchpuppy t1_jeci4ly wrote

Wasn't Nights into Dreams a Saturn Game? That was a fun one.

oldnyoung t1_jedc79d wrote

It was, and that round controller on the table came with it!

Mulchpuppy t1_jeedjro wrote

Derp. That's what I get for not looking at the whole picture!

Iron_Chic t1_jecrt4e wrote

Still have my Saturn in the garage! I recommed Virtua Fighter II, Guardian Heroes, Nights: Into Deams, Darkstalkers, Sega Rally, Dragon Force, Radiant Silvergun and Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Panzer Dragoon Saga is better, but rare and a bit expensive. I bought my copy in 2000 for $100).

Edit: It's Darkstalkers, not Nightstalkers!

Magus13x t1_jecxtak wrote

Dragon Force and Guardian Heroes were the only reason I ever wanted a Saturn. Such great games.

maximillious t1_jecxu9q wrote

Sega rally was amazing. There was that one track with the massive jump if you went in reverse. Hours of fun

MacX1423 t1_jefwjsn wrote

Adding to great games. Golden Axe: the Duel, Three Dirty Dwarves, Scud: the Disposible Assassin (uses light gun, not exclusively), Die Hard Trilogy, Area 51 (light gun only), Clockwork Knight & CK2, Soviet Strike, Impact Racing, ORIGINAL Resident Evil & DOOM!

scutiger- t1_jeexv4o wrote

>Dragon Force

Not to be confused with DragonForce, the band that brought us Through the Fire and Flames.

DismalChance t1_jecwvou wrote

If you can find it, there's two game I loved as a kid

Bug!: essentially a platformer where you play as a green bug as they are filming a movie. I have a feeling they were trying to make him their platforms mascot similar to Mario but it didn't quite pan out.

Astal: side scrolling adventure where you and a bird try to save the main characters sister (iirc?). Great game. Memorable boss fights. And multiplayer where 1 plays as the main character and the other as the bird

maximillious t1_jecxzvc wrote

Bug was incredible! I only had a demo disc of it and im not sure why we never got the full game but it was so much fun. I played it not long ago and could smell the smell of my old houses living room as i went through the first level. Such a trip down memory lane

DismalChance t1_jecydvw wrote

I saw that there was a sequel for it, Bug Too! But I've honestly never seen in person. Just looked it up on ebay, christ that's and expensive sequel to pick up now

MacX1423 t1_jefwz75 wrote

I have Bug Too! But never played Bug. Its a 3d platformer that i remember being infuriatingly hard.

Croc: legend of the gobbos was a much easier platformer

lee_unit t1_jeepycn wrote

Omg bug sucks what are you smoking. I had it early on with my Saturn after launch.

DismalChance t1_jeet5a5 wrote

A cigarette at the moment, but that's not the point.

Sorry you feel that way about it? I remember quite enjoying it when I was younger. Was it ground breaking for its time, no. But it still provided me with lots of hours of entertainment.

Grouchy_Engineer6894 t1_jeefwor wrote

Bug! was not a 1st party Sega game, I even had it on windows 95. Sega has Sonic, they weren't looking for a new mascot.

penguinReloaded t1_jegkgd6 wrote

Astal is good, Bug! Is mediocre. Both are worth playing through, but Bug! isn't as good as you remember. The sequel, Bug Too! is slightly better. While you're playing mediocre/decent platformers, check out Clockwork Knight 1 & 2!

aaronmlarios t1_jecyk4j wrote

I can definitely relate to this and I'm super stoked you made a childhood dream come true even a small one like this. Cheers my good sir and if you haven't yet heard this suggestion I wholeheartedly adore dynamite cop or die hard arcade as it was also known and elevator action. Amazing games I still played this day. Have fun OP, happy gaming

DeLurkerDeluxe t1_jedglol wrote

Shining Force 3, Panzer Dragoon games, Dragon Force (Saga might be tricky), Guardian Heroes, Nights, Radiant Silvergun, The Legend of Oasis, Clockwork Knight, Magic Knight Rayearth.

Then there are some multiplat games like Grandia/Symphony of the Night who are suposed to have their best versions on the Sega Saturn.

eadgster t1_jed0kfm wrote

The main games remember were the Lunar series.

SnaxCapone t1_jed51kh wrote

Must bring back so many nostalgic memories - thanks for sharing

chronoboy1985 t1_jed5hj9 wrote

The first game I saw on Saturn that made me want one was ironically Mega Man 8. Such gorgeous sprites!

DreizehnX t1_jed8oud wrote

Nice memorieS :-) That's awesome. Congrats. Sadly I skipped the saturn but I loved the dreamcast.

whitemusic t1_jedzp61 wrote

Dragonforce! Such a gem and not really like any other game. Easily my favorite on the console.

Complicated-HorseAss t1_jeeaman wrote

Top Games

Shining Force 3 (good luck finding it)

Dragon force (1/2) 2 is better

Guardian Heroes

Iron Storm

Panzer Dragoon

Clockwork Knight

Virtual Fighter

Virtual Cop (need the gun)

MacX1423 t1_jefxa3w wrote

Last i seen, Shining Force 3 was around $750. Are there english ones, or is it Japanese only?

Complicated-HorseAss t1_jeg0zyd wrote

There was a community project to bring it to English, pretty sure part 1 is done. Its only for the emulator I think.

Dredd209 t1_jeekhe0 wrote

Pandemonium! was a favourite of mine, as was Guardian Heroes. Also the classics like orginal Doom, Quake and Hexen.

Headofthastate t1_jeeplsc wrote

I can't believe I scrolled through all these comments and not one mention of Daytona USA

houkah t1_jeg3jzl wrote

I really liked a game called Beyond Oasis. It was a Zelda-ish game.

penguinReloaded t1_jegk2to wrote

NiGHTS first and foremost. An absolute masterpiece. Panzer Dragoon Saga (it isn't overhyped, it genuinely is as good as "legend" says it is), & Magic Knight Rayearth. They are all phenomenal games. Play through Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2, rip the rest of the Working Designs library, enjoy the 2D fighters, the arcade conversions, etc. The library is phenomenal.