Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Real_Beyoga t1_jebyucp wrote

A few reasons that are different than the FGC are:

• bigger lobbies, 5v5 10v10 etc are harder to balance than 1v1

• due to bigger lobbies, games tank longer

Honestly now that i type it out, most of the SBMM ossues come from the fact the more players the harder to balance, make lobbies, queue time, the lowest person may be significantly different than highest person. (Look how bad ow2 lobbies are and they try and use SBMM)

BlueMikeStu t1_jebz8zr wrote

Its people parroting things they hear from whiney pissbaby streamers who aren't as good as they think they are and don't get enough kills for their YouTube compilations when they just want to pubstomp without being good.

Basically all it is.

Imagine someone like LowTierFraud as an FPS player.

BurnerDanBurnerMan t1_jebzt0n wrote

Usually the big shot streamers are utilizing low-level lobbies to look better on the stream.

yax51 t1_jebzxsb wrote

I think part of it is that as you get better, it becomes harder to find matches. Especially at the higher tiers. Additionally, as you get to the higher tiers, every game becomes (as one redditor described it) "the final round of a tournament". Most people want a chill casual game or two, and not have to enter full on high level play all the time.

It also seems to restrict various play styles and/or builds (depending on the game). You can't mess around with something that can't compete on the highest levels, and expect not to just be destroyed over and over again.

Graviton_Lancelot t1_jec1ckh wrote

> Most people want a chill casual game or two, and not have to enter full on high level play all the time.

What if you're on the lower end of the skill ranking? Are you just never allowed to enjoy the game? Or are you just supposed to take satisfaction in dying whenever it is you're inevitably fed to the GM stack that's "just chilling out" with KD several orders of magnitude higher than anyone else in the lobby?

yax51 t1_jecmj7r wrote

What does that have to do with not liking skills based matchmaking?

Graviton_Lancelot t1_jecokbq wrote

Seriously? I mean, do you really not understand how SBMM match-makes based on skill?

I actually would like an answer here, if you would oblige me. What would be easier, beating up a kindergartener, or someone that matched your height, weight, and age? Which one would be more relaxing and 'chill' for you? which one would be more fair to your opponent?

I honestly hate the 'chill gaems lol' thing that people always say. It's predicated entirely on being fed people far under your skill level to boost your own ego.

Concorditer t1_jec029a wrote

I personally approve of SBMM, but there is one argument that I have seen that I do sympathize with some. Basically, that when you play a competitive game without SBMM then you get rewarded for your growth in skill by increased wins and easier matches. One might start off really struggling, maybe only winning 10% of their games, but if they keep practicing and putting in the effort they will start to win more and more, perhaps eventually winning 90% of their games. This adds a tangible feeling of progress. It's like being max level in an RPG and then going back to the starting area and one shotting the mobs. You can see how far you came. Meanwhile, with SBMM, you will often end up with a winrate around 50% no matter how good you get. In fact, you get rewarded for success by getting harder matches.

Now, the major question is if that experience, which likely does feel very rewarding for certain players, is worth the downsides of new players getting utterly clobbered while veterans get to chill out as basically perpetual smurfs.

hurdygurdy21 t1_jec1044 wrote

I don't know. I've always found SBMM inconsistent. Sometimes it feels like I'm with players on my level, not a bad game. Every one is fairly balanced. Most people having a good time. The games end close.

Then there are times when one team completely dominates and it feels completely unfair. Like pros vs a team of people using their tongue to play the game bad. Even when it's my team doing the dominating it doesn't feel great.

Definitely still needs tweaking.

ISAV_WaffleMasta t1_jec1rwq wrote

The abstracts of how matchmaking works with multiple numbers on both sides aside, the only logical whines I hear fall in two categories.

1. kbm shouldn't be included with controllers! (This from mostly in my personal observation people with kbm support for their preferred system that are pathologically attached to their controller)

2. people who can't choose to go pwn noobs every game to feel better about themselves.

As a newbie I got 2 #1 wins in Fortnite with less than 9 games, I would like to believe it had a skill based system but IDK. It's my only experience playing fps type stuff competitive, wasn't my scene so I left, and have no idea if others were using a controller as opposed to the kbm setup I had, and if there's some info anyone wants to share to mention if it was a factor or not, please do of course.

In short, I don't normally play matched systems but my observations from mostly outside the community was one of those two. I'm open to data correcting it though that busts my personal experience 🤷

Skatingraccoon t1_jebz0bj wrote

Because it almost entirely replaced traditional server browsers, and it usually sucks.

Traditional servers were awesome since they encouraged developing a sense of community with other players, there was a more social aspect to it, you only had to wait for the map to load and there was no weird five hour lobby pause.

And for a game where it is 1v1 it might not be that bad. Imagine trying to slot 10-128 players into evenly distributed teams. One side almost always ends up stacked.

justrandomnam3s t1_jec0hp1 wrote

People parrot a term they hear online without actually understanding anything about it