Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Shibbystix t1_jea26ph wrote

Yeah, the thing that made wow so special is the thing that cannot exist anymore BECAUSE of the times.

The best thing about wow was exploring out in the wild and randomly seeing someone else doing the same. I made my first long term net friend running from troggs near Karanos.

Now, everyone is using the same speed Lvling guide to level as fast as possible, and people run right past everyone because everyone is trying to max lvl as fast as possible. It's so streamlined that most of the servers are on the exact same paths to get to places, doing the exact same quests and skipping the same quests.

You don't randomly meet strangers in the wild anymore to team up

MajinBuuMan t1_jeac72y wrote

That's what made me stop playing most MP games in general.

Meta this, meta that, find the most efficient ways to do things and stick to that.

Even first person shooters are going that way...

I like my sense of wonder and adventure in video games and that's gone from most multiplayer now.

Cooleybob t1_jeaga9p wrote

"Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

It's essentially an inevitability with competitive multiplayer games. If the goal is to "win", then the most efficient method of achieving that will be found and dominate the scene. For MMORPG's like WoW, that really sucks when the whole point of the game was to explore, quest, collect gear, and build your character however you wanted.

JanGuillosThrowaway t1_jedud0w wrote

I did get that feeling again when WoW classic dropped. There were so much activity in the world. someone posted about grouping for the elite quests in Loch Modan and I dragged my NE priest up there and completely but barely saved a group consisting of three warriors and a hunter.

That was such a great time. I'd like to get back into classic now but I guess the experience would be very different from those first months.