Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

thebestaras OP t1_iu8z6iy wrote

I have it but have not played it that much. Is the magic system really that great?

Wade-M-Wilson t1_iu8zfzn wrote

You can fully customize every spell you want to use.

Example: Acrobatics is a skill in that game. Higher you go, higher you jump. You can create a spell that imbues yourself with fortify acrobatics and literally jump across the map.

That's just one basic idea. It works for every spell and skill in the game. Base game consoles or PC, no mods needed.

Athletics is also a skill. Higher run faster. Same idea, can turn yourself into a gazelle that can run across the map, jump over an ocean, and safe fall into Vivec city to go kill a God and break the game.

logicality77 t1_iu8zk08 wrote

The magic in all the Elder Scrolls games is really good, and viable in a variety of play styles. Morrowind and Oblivion make it even better with spell crafting, where you can mix spell effects and durations as you see fit. It’s very fun, and can get quite OP if you spend time building your character’s skills there.

Edit: spell crafting in Elder Scrolls games goes back to the first game, but it’s harder to recommend Arena and Daggerfall unless you are already a fan of the series. Daggerfall is better if you play with Daggerfall Unity, but it’s still very much a product of its time, that being the late 90’s.

Wade-M-Wilson t1_iu96iqb wrote

Totally agree. I intro'd to the series with Morrowind as a kid and I wish I'd had Oblivion as my launch point. Spent a bunch of time in all the Beth open worlds so far, but far and away more in TES than Fallout.

Skyrim is a GREAT all around game but they threw magic use to the wolves. It's fun and flashy but mostly useless.

Oblivion was a good learning point because it was, in hindsight, an almost exact middle ground between the potentially destructive freedom of Morrowind and more open-ended restrictions of Skyrim.

Morrowind these days is my favorite for going in to an open world fantasy setting, and basically acting like an immature God a la Grand Theft Auto style play freedom.

It's a STEEP learning curve if you're young. But the game will literally let you kill any NPC you want to at any point. Even if it breaks the game/story. You can irreparably mess up a save file at any point and sometimes not even know until you hit a cross point you didn't know would be coming unless you'd read elsewhere ahead of time.

And the utter, gleeful madness of the freedom they gave you with spellcrafting and enchanting. On CONSOLES!