Submitted by usernameewastaken t3_zz4g5f in gaming

Hey guys, I wanted your opinion on this matter. Sometimes, I find myself torn between playing a brand new game or wait a few years until they sorted out all the bugs. Good example (days gone during launch). I don't like the wait but in the same time when I play a game full of glitches, I get the feeling that I am missing out on the good experience of playing the game glitch free.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Z_M_P_Y t1_j29ce09 wrote

Sometimes they add to the fun but most of the time they are annoying

usernameewastaken OP t1_j2aea2b wrote

Yeah i should've mentioned that im annoyed by performance issues where i get a lot of fps drops because the game is not optimized.

imahumanafterall t1_j29duy8 wrote

I think it was a Prince of Persia game that I bought for PC, back when patches weren't a thing and bugged games were a rare thing I guess, I was 6 hours into the game and suddenly I couldn't get through a set of platforms. There was no way. I had to stop playing and the frustration was such that I had to uninstall the game. A friend borrows the game and the same happens to him. That day I realized glitches can be pretty effed up.

Hardcore_Donut t1_j29epye wrote

As long as it's not consistently freezing or crashing my game, idc. Scarlet and Violet had a lot of glitches at launch, I never encountered any of them and none were game breaking.

It doesn't ruin the game or the fun if my character randomly enlarges or my mount is invisible.

benderhiggy t1_j29gyhv wrote

I'm old enough to remember when glitches were a fun thing to do after you'd beaten the game. The best example I can remember is in the original double dragon there's an area near the beginning of the game with two drainpipes, a barrel, and enemies. If you did it just right, you could throw the barrel at the enemy and knock them both into the drainpipe, causing both the barrel and the enemy to slowly levitate up and off the screen.

It sounds dumb, but in 1989-ish, I remember my brother trying to do that for HOURS, while the rest of us watched. We all laughed like idiots when he finally did it

throughthespillways t1_j29iymd wrote

Depends how bad it is.

Some funny glitches in Skyrim, not really a problem. Game breaking bugs and performance issues like Cyberpunk, instant refund.

Sabbathius t1_j29oim7 wrote

Yes and no.

For me, the likelihood I will buy a game increases up to and including the day of release. Literally the next day this begins to diminish, and the longer I don't buy it (for reasons such as bugs, stability, low content, etc), the less likely it becomes that I will ever buy it, unless there's an excellent sequel and/or it becomes a cult classic despite the jank. I would strongly prefer to buy games at launch because of this, but the state most games release in makes is an unpleasant experience.

I do like it when I don't "waste" or "ruin" the game for myself by playing it in a bad state. BUT at the same time, this too can be quite fun. Because in "fixing" the game, sometimes too much changes. Recent games like Cyberpunk and Total War: Warhammer 3 changed significantly since launch. Warhammer 3 especially was brutal for the first month because AI was hyper-aggressive towards the player, amongst other things. But this resulted in a very challenging, very memorable campaign. It wasn't the same after the fixes. And same with Cyberpunk, it just didn't feel quite right once they implemented the fixer progression system.

So it cuts both ways for me.

Having said that, lately I've been pretty patient. Too many games are releasing in garbage state (but with fully working in-game cash shop, like Darktide a month ago). So I buy a few years down the line, for $20 or less, instead of paying full price. Not ideal for everyone involved - I hate waiting, and game devs don't get paid the full amount. But as long as game devs insist on releasing broken, unfinished titles, I don't see that I have much of a choice. I certainly don't want to financially support that kind of behaviour.

Agroskater t1_j29u7e3 wrote

The only time it ruins a game is if it drains all the energy from you from that game. Like you played made a lot of progress then something made it so you had to restart. Breathe’s Edge was so charming and I got far, and when I came back to the game realized the game apparently can’t save any of my data?

Yeah I’m not playing the whole game in a single sitting and that’s enough of a bug for me to never touch it again until it’s explicitly addressed and solved and I see so.

Some games it’s like a car sits 1” above the ground and the entire community sends death threats to the developers until Mgmt kills the project and that’s the worst kind, because that stops entire games that had potential dead in their tracks.

xGOSHUx t1_j2a0ni4 wrote

My son and I used to play Gunfire Reborn on Xbox Gamepass. It was a lot of fun, but the game has deleted his save file twice now. After the second deletion, we dont play it anymore. That glitch has ruined the fun for us.

Banana-Beginning t1_j2ak9h2 wrote

Not anymore since they are usually quickly patched...

But holy shit before consoles were connected and updates existed? Yes. I remember TMNT on NES, the janitor bug on Theme Park, the lag glitch in Command and Conquerer Red Alert ....

Honestly even some glitches in modern games can ruin it if the developer is lazy and doesn't fix it. Case example, planet coaster. Can't even run more than 10fps after a few thousand people enter your park.