Submitted by Ellaciraptor t3_zztl8a in gaming

The Witcher 3

Far Cry 4

Skyrim (lol this one is funny but this was during my super early gaming days)

Just Cause 3 (though I would come back to this game just to fly around mindlessly and explore the massive map)

Edit: currently ELDEN RING! Oh my god I want to play it and like it so bad but man I’m struggling. Maybe I’m not a legit enough gamer haha. I refuse to let it beat me though I’ll get into it one of these days I know I will.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

JohnLocke815 t1_j2djgmm wrote

One day years ago best buy had a b2g1 sale.

I bought dark souls 1, dark souls 2, dark souls 3, demons souls, bloodborne, ans lords of the fallen.

What a waste of money that was.

I was actually able to beat lords of the fallen but the rest were a no go.

Cut to this year I bought elden ring, despite my earlier failures because it just looked so damn great. I was eventually able to beat it after I learned how the game works and after quite a bit of over leveling.

I went back to all the other souls games afterwards and have now beat every one of them.

Still can't get past sekiro though. I think that's a lost cause for me

winterman666 t1_j2doz4w wrote

Rip, you played through and beat one of the worst soulslike games out there first. I'm glad that didn't turn you off lol. I recommend trying the Surge if you liked Lords of the Fallen, since it's by the same devs but improved in every way. I didn't like Lords but do like Surge

JohnLocke815 t1_j2dttxb wrote

I really don't get why LoF gets so much hate I really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the sequel.

I tried the surge a while back, I may go back to it now that I've been able to beat the other games. I think I got it free with ps+ at some point

Oregon-Transplant t1_j2dhasr wrote

Pretty much all the recent FromSoftware games. I tried to get into the series but couldn’t, but while playing Elden Ring something just clicked for me and I finally understood the combat, weapon scaling, and equip load mechanics. Now I’ve beaten Elden Ring, Bloodborne, the first Dark Souls, and I’m currently playing Dark Souls 2.

Ellaciraptor OP t1_j2dhn4t wrote

Elden Ring has been the bane of my time off. It’s not clicking. And it’s my first game I’ve ever played from them so it’s all just so foreign. But I’ll get there (hopefully)

Oregon-Transplant t1_j2diiu1 wrote

They are games that thrive off the community and shared knowledge so I would recommend playing without help if you want, but don’t be afraid to look up the wiki if you get stuck or watching gameplay from someone familiar with the series. That’s what really helped me - watching a YouTube playthrough helped explain some aspects of the game that weren’t clear to me. Also read item descriptions.

steveyramone t1_j2di40j wrote

Hollow Knight for me. I now am in love with it but I tried it twice before it clicked and kept setting it down. Now I preach about how it’s the best $15 I’ve ever spent.

BeefSteakRaw t1_j2dk1jq wrote

Dark Souls 1, Ornstein and Smough. That's all that comes to mind. It was hard enough even getting there, but that fight beat my butt so bad I put the game down for about a month and started playing other action RPGs. That feeling when I finally came back and beat them though.. heaven.

WilsonKh t1_j2dkz9e wrote

Started these when I was very young. Completed them about 30 years later (recently)

• Phantasy Star 2. Constantly got party wiped by the final boss. Lesson learnt - Thief - Starmist

• Jagged Alliance. They don’t make games as difficult nowadays. Thank god for faster load times

Special Shout-out

• Breath of the Wild - Lynels. For the life of me, I couldn’t beat a single one of them last year. 1.5 years later, I currently go out of my way to murder them just for the fun of it. Revenge is sweet.

Philaharmic t1_j2dh9g2 wrote

Sonic 2 for genesis, first time I beat it was at a friends house that I was visiting at 16 or so, owned and played the shit out of it when I was a kid

shadowthehh t1_j2di4yn wrote

Not exactly the same, but a fairly similar anecdote.

I played Dark Souls 3 up to the final boss and then dropped the game because I thought defeating it would immediately set me to NG+.

I was wrong. And when I found out, in order to train my now atrophied Souls skills back up, I played through Bloodborne. Ironically, again, up to right before the final boss. This one indeed autotriggering NG+.

conmair t1_j2di6h5 wrote

There was a bit at the start of the outworlds I died a few times so I put it down for a while and then covid lockdowns started happening and my work shut so I put it back on and that was my lockdown game

Live-Turnover-442 t1_j2dkutf wrote

Dark Souls 1 - I just didn't get the rhythm of it. The mood was there, I loved the setting...but the gameplay felt really off, slow, hard and unfair. The problem was me ofcozrse, as I spproched the game as standar hack and slash RPG. After like 5 tries, starting over and over, it finally clicked. And now I've finished all of From Software games except Sekiro.

Doom Eternal - I really loved Doom (2016), and wanted more of it. As soon as I finished it I bought Doom Eternal. But it felt too fast, colorfull and "light". I was really dissapointed at first, combat was too fast, there were too many enemies...I hated it at first. But now I love it more then the first one.

CertainlyAmbivalent t1_j2dm4xo wrote

Europa Universalis 4. I enjoy crusader kings but for the love of god cannot figure out EU4.

I misread the last part of your question. I still haven’t come back to EU4

winterman666 t1_j2dp445 wrote

Never had an experience like this. If I drop a game its because I'm not interested atm (due to other games holding my interest) or I genuinely don't like the gameplay or am not invested in characters or the world

FarmDry8229 t1_j2dtrz2 wrote

Demon's Souls on PS3, I played it in 2010 and managed with a lot of effort to overcome the first area and beat the first boss and shortly after I abandoned it, then in 2013 I started it again and managing to understand how the game worked I finished it for the first time.

mighty1993 t1_j2duys2 wrote

Demon's Souls. Have no console for that right now so I played through Elden Ring, got hooked and just finished Dark Souls 1. Starting part 2 soon and wish to beat also Sekiro and somehow Bloodborne if it ever gets a port or I can rent my friends console. After that maybe some other soulslike games, especially that Pinocchio Bloodborne.

Crazy_Diver1090 t1_j2ecwph wrote

I just remember, how my dad brought me dishonored for my xbox. In that days I was too small for this game, so I didn't like it, but after 2 years I tried it again and damn that was good

Joshuakanobie t1_j2em8ni wrote

Kingdom hearts. I got stuck on one boss battle for a long time, came back after finishing kingdom hearts 2 one summer and blasted through the whole game.

ElasmoGNC t1_j2ex6ks wrote

Solstice (NES, 1990). To be fair, I was 10 the first time I tried it.

glonq t1_j2f5mz4 wrote

I would sooner reduce the difficulty level than quit a game that was too hard. But it doesn't really happen to me because I don't play souls-like games.