Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Bananaslamma24 t1_j6lh8gz wrote

It applies to all 3 of em.

Masspoint OP t1_j6lhgq6 wrote

yeah that is far from the case for the first one

from wiki

The game includes elements of role-playing games, giving the player different approaches in engaging enemies such as by stealth, additionally, the game and its biopunk theme borrow concepts from the survival horror genre, notably the Resident Evil series.

−6

Bananaslamma24 t1_j6li4u1 wrote

If you keep reading it talks about them taking inspiration from survival horror games like RE and tried to implement a similar progression system, not that it's a survival horror game.

Masspoint OP t1_j6ll2tg wrote

Yeah, that might be the case but this piece is purely about the survival horror part.

Bananaslamma24 t1_j6llgu0 wrote

By literal definition it can't be survival horror if it has no survival features, it's half the genre that's literally in the name, I'm astonished I have to explain that.

Masspoint OP t1_j6llz7e wrote

that's kind of an odd explanation, games like dead space and resident evil rely on a scarce recources to create that, but there are other survival horror games that rely on more, sneaking for instance.

Alien isolation is classed exactly like that

Bananaslamma24 t1_j6lmcwk wrote

Alien Isolation has scarce resources.

Masspoint OP t1_j6lnn6l wrote

I don't think they class it on exactly that, if you type in survival horror games in google, you get bioshock as a part of that. Same for system shock 2 (bioshock is the spiritual successor of that game)

Besides, it's not like bioshock doesn't have any resource management either.

Bananaslamma24 t1_j6lqbey wrote

No official marketing or description lists the game as survival horror.

Masspoint OP t1_j6lr7hw wrote

No also the reason why I posted it. It is specified as a first person shooter but so is call of duty.

They aren't even comparable.

Bananaslamma24 t1_j6lronf wrote

So the games wasn't marketed as a survivor horror, the isn't described as one, we've explained that it doesn't have any survival features whatsoever, all logic points to it not being comparable to the survivor horror genre, you're just being willfully ignorant at this point.

Masspoint OP t1_j6lszxm wrote

It is the spiritual successor of system shock 2.

which is known to be action role playing survival horror game, and a landmark in video gaming history.

Also the reason why google lists as such.

You're right it isn't known or marketed like that, and it's also the reason why I posted it.

Because not a lot of people know about this.

Bananaslamma24 t1_j6ltadf wrote

People don't know about it because it isn't true. You're really trying as hard as you can to remain ignorant. Who are you to decide a games genre above the people who made it?

Masspoint OP t1_j6ltu90 wrote

They don't know about it because it's so long ago. I played system shock 2 back in the day and I was already in my twenties, I know the history behind it. I know the history behind the dev teams and how many of these genres originated.

You're right it isn't marketed as such, I can't debate you on that.

But system shock 2 is still known to be a survival horror game and bioshock is pretty much the successor of that game. It uses similar elements what system shock 2 was known for to create a survival horror experience.

It's also the reason why google lists is as such.

Bananaslamma24 t1_j6lus48 wrote

There's clearly no reasoning with you, you don't get to decide a games genre the people who made it do and they didn't make a survival horror game, you are just a troll.

Masspoint OP t1_j6lwn3a wrote

I don't need to decide this, you can find this on the internet.

Also no need to get agitated. You have a point, but I have a point as well.

The creators of bioshock worked on thief the dark project, which also contained survival horror elements. They continued this with system shock 2 who contained a lot more and by this was also classed as such.

But it wasn't classed as this because of the same reasons resident evil and dead space are classed as survival horror (which you refer to as resource management) it was more focussed on stealth gameplay.

A part of the dev team of looking glass studios left and created irrational games, which created bioshock.

Sea-Brother-5281 t1_j6nz5wm wrote

Lol why do you care so much if he thinks of the game as a survival horror ? Who are you to tell someone what they should think of a game ?

Bananaslamma24 t1_j6oeklu wrote

It's not a matter of opinion, it's literal facts and logic.

Sea-Brother-5281 t1_j6ohdr5 wrote

Lol ok so what are the facts and logic that determine that it isn’t a survival horror?