Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

zillskillnillfrill t1_j9mture wrote

Is that really the size of geckos I always assumed that they were much smaller

Arvandor t1_j9n0c53 wrote

Most geckos are pretty small. That is an outlier breed for sure

electro1ight t1_j9nwrba wrote

Yeah. Makes me think Australia.

DynamicSploosh t1_j9oaopw wrote

This species is found in northeast India, Bhutan, Nepal, and Bangladesh; throughout Southeast Asia, including Thailand, the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia; and toward western New Guinea. It’s also been spotted in parts of Northern Australia. It’s considered the second largest gecko species with the New Caledonian gecko being the largest with sizes as large as 36cm (14 inches)

Edit: I forgot to mention the name of this species. Its a Tokay Gecko.

GoProOnAYoYo t1_j9r9rhj wrote

What species is this? One about this big got into our bungalow once when we were visiting Thailand and I was blown away, had only ever seen lil geckos my whole life

SheriffBartholomew t1_j9rbcpd wrote

I'm pretty sure it's a Tokay Gecko. They're mean as hell and will bark at you with an undead demon voice.

Ajj360 t1_j9rwxce wrote

tokay gecko,known for a painful bite

DurangoJohnson t1_j9orzeh wrote

The one in the video looks like it could be pushing 14 inch or more if laid straight out from head to end of tail

Fernelz t1_j9p7avs wrote

How can you tell? I don't see any bananas in the video

PillNeckLizard11 t1_j9oz13a wrote

Nah geckos here are pretty small, thats a chungus right there, but some of our gackos do glow in the dark

Theofeus t1_j9p3xye wrote

You saw the floor inside and thought Australia?

Nghtmare-Moon t1_j9pjlnc wrote

Southeast Asia has some that size and their noise is pretty funny it sounds like “GEKoooo”

pvballer t1_j9nc0h0 wrote

This is a Tokay gecko. Most geckos are much smaller. Tokays are one of the largest gecko species, known for their particularly nasty bites and defensive nature.

And yes they bark. Geckos are quite vocal.

drekia t1_j9pfwxs wrote

These guys are so elusive. I lived in the Philippines for 12 years and was always able to hear their squeaky little mating calls but never actually saw them.

ohhellopia t1_j9qn8h5 wrote

I used to go on vacations in a pretty rural area -- I'd live in a hut house with a tin roof while I'm there. On really hot days, the tin roof gets extremely hot and they'd let go from the ceiling, plopping down to the floor. Scared the crap out of me. I always slept with the mosquito netting over me, more for tokay falling off the roof protection than mosquitos.

AthenasChosen t1_j9qo0fr wrote

My grandpa said when he was serving in Vietnam, there was an animal that would say "Fuck you" in the jungle that you could hear all the time. It was the Tokay geckos lol.

likesexonlycheaper t1_j9qx9oq wrote

I dunno if they are the same but when I was visiting Bali there were geckos that always sounded like they were a kid saying "help me". It was pretty creepy in the middle of the night.

drekia t1_j9qy065 wrote

I always thought they were literally saying “geck-oh”! Or sometimes “weh-oh”

oyelaking t1_j9qxpnl wrote

I don’t know man, but that sounds like an awesome deal to me. My sincerest hope is that I never lay eyes on one of these fuckers.

woodsciguy t1_j9qqj9j wrote

I had one for a pet. When i bought it at the reptile pet store the guy selling it said it was tge only thing in the srore that they guaranteed will bite you. It was a pain in the ass and constantly escaped. Beautiful though. Purple with orange spots. Fed it mice...

Soma2710 t1_j9qrvav wrote

Used to work in a pet store where we sold these.

You had to dunk it under water in order to release its jaws from your hands. I made the mistake once of cleaning their habitats without gloves.

They are indeed beautiful creatures, though!

pvballer t1_j9qv9iu wrote

I have one right now! He’s actually somewhat socialized where I’m not too scared of him biting but I am still very careful. I’m always scared of him getting out and then having to try to catch him however.

Their pattern and colors are super unique.

SheriffBartholomew t1_j9rbl2v wrote

I had one two separate times. They're probably the meanest pets I've ever had. Both times I ended up too traumatized by the constant attacks to keep caring for them and found them more tolerant caretakers.

Nihil_esque t1_j9oad8y wrote

Most geckos are small, these guys (Tokay geckos) are on the bigger side. They live in southeast Asia.

knotshir t1_j9p2sf6 wrote

They're in Florida, US, now. Thanks exotic pet trade!

kw661 t1_j9qqe93 wrote

Really? Wow! Yup, poor Florida gets all kinds of wacko invaders. Well, they do blend in pretty well.

knotshir t1_j9qtkta wrote

They do, but unfortunately, they nest in any openings in your house, like soffits and vents.

jackduloz t1_j9pezae wrote

My dad bought a few of these big fuckers to release this snide out house in Texas when I was growing up to deal with cockroaches.

They can draw blood with their bites, and they bark.

kw661 t1_j9qq61z wrote

I'm on Maui, 4 inches live in my house and cheap at very significant moments and I'm Not 🤪. Mahalo

Han_YO1O t1_j9tkxya wrote

That is a Tokay gecko, the second largest extant gecko next to the lechianus.