Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

GranumX t1_jdcy3l7 wrote

All fun and games until it grows up and gets ditched…

Admiral_Dildozer t1_jddynxe wrote

I have two pigs and they are seriously so cute and sweet when they’re tiny. But they grow up pretty fast and become very hard to manage. Pigs are smart and very social, if you don’t spend time with them and give them activities, they will get very destructive and mean.

They also can live 15-20 years with a healthy diet and lifestyle so be prepared for the long run if you do take one in!

lucymom1961 t1_jdeefwn wrote

I read an article about a pig in Alaska that kept getting out of his pen and went into town exploring. He was known by most of the townfolk, so he got home safely. He even got taken home by the police at one point!

makipri t1_jdgzplm wrote

I would like to see the pig in the backseat of the police car!

lucymom1961 t1_jdhpkmo wrote

I have him saved in my gallery but am too computer/phone illiterate to show you.

makipri t1_jef19as wrote

Can you do imgur? It goes easily with Reddit. You can just click share on the Imgur app, copy link and paste it as a comment here.

lucymom1961 t1_jefm01r wrote

That was Greek speak to me, but I made a post in r/aww you can view, or just look at my profile!

makipri t1_jefnnt8 wrote

Thanks! Forgot already that it was a news story online so headline would have been enough but I got to see it finally! Looks cozy.

g00f t1_jdejaui wrote

They living outside or you letting them run the house?

Admiral_Dildozer t1_jdjan8d wrote

When they were little they lived inside, but around 60 pounds they had to move to the backyard. They have their own little house now

xLosTxSouL t1_jderarr wrote

We had a house pig and it got quite big (still mich smaller than regular pigs) but we never ditched it. Why should someone even do that.

tundar t1_jdf9dzc wrote

Because a lot of people don’t do research and a lot of pot-bellied pig breeders lie and say that they’re ‘teacup pigs’ (which don’t exist) that are going to stay tiny and cute.

PSA that all mini pigs are just baby pigs that will become big huge pigs that weight 100lbs+ and as much as a 1000lbs.

wtfduud t1_jdeteax wrote

Because when it gets large it just becomes impractical to treat it like a dog. An adult pig is 6 times heavier than a Great Dane.

At best it gets stuck outside tied to a pole, watching the family through the windows.

gjon89 t1_jddj7nw wrote

Or becomes delicious bacon!

−9