Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

punekar_2018 t1_iw1w9wv wrote

How else would you learn?

joespizza2go t1_iw27sys wrote

I was going to say the same thing. I admire this a lot because I wouldn't be brave enough to try that, even though it would be awesome to be able to do some cool dives.

Mr_Zaroc t1_iw2tfsu wrote

I am with you
It takes balls to try to back flip from a platform
Tried it once, hit my face hard and never tried again

Longshot_45 t1_iw2knz8 wrote

Sucking at something is the first step to being kinda sorta good at something.

Splith t1_iw2xp7b wrote

Right? I have thrown a few flops in my day.

FartIntoMyButt t1_iw2y1q1 wrote

And I have thrown up after a few flops in my day. Okay, it was only once, but still. no one wants to puke in the pool

Fettnaepfchen t1_iw2mq4s wrote

From lower down, if you have no idea how to jump, why start at that height?

−13

Mr_Zaroc t1_iw2tofc wrote

If you tried to normally back flip you would overturn, plus it gives you a bit more time to

Kudos to her for trying though, hitting water from that height isn't fun

Fettnaepfchen t1_iw369k9 wrote

Yeah, it looked very painful. My grandma was a tower diver and trained kids and the adults after she retired, and always made sure people were aware of the correct technique before endangering themselves. I mean, ideally you have a trainer who helps you, figuring out the technique by yourself just by looking at it is something that not everyone can do, and trial and error is painful when water and heights are involved.

punekar_2018 t1_iw30i6q wrote

Not enough height to do a complete flip? Plus she is using what is already built there.

Fettnaepfchen t1_iw35qqy wrote

True, but I remember starting to practice backflips from the 1 m board, it’s enough to get a feeling for how much you need to turn. Of course you would then increase the height to give more room for a proper salto backwards. She looks like she only thought about how to start the turn and then she just kind of hung in the air until she collided with the water. It just doesn’t feel like she has attempted such a thing before at all.

speckhuggarn t1_iw3qapw wrote

What height? Looked like just around 3 meters

Fettnaepfchen t1_iw3to52 wrote

Yeah, I naively assumed it would make sense to start practising simple backwards jumps from 1 m first before taking a dive of the 3 m. Her form looks like she’s never done it before.