Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ape_on_lucy t1_ixt3r50 wrote

Can I have your scraps? Haha. As a glass artists I got a hard on seeing a chunk of opal that big. Jokes aside, thats some seriously cool work you're doing.

trashcrayon t1_ixr023w wrote

I... might need one of these

Armourhotdog OP t1_ixr1c47 wrote

I always have a few sitting around, send me a message and I can mail you one.

Adiwik t1_ixr0jkk wrote

You will pay for the process not the stone

−9

CrankyOldDude t1_ixs9pfy wrote

Have you ever considered selling these? That’s really beautiful!

Armourhotdog OP t1_ixsa1dh wrote

I actually produce these types of rings as my full time job.

LoreSantiago t1_ixu77yk wrote

So how is synthetic Opal made? Do you just buy slab to process into rings and stuff ?

individual_throwaway t1_ixu5tyl wrote

Are those...feathers under your polishing wheel?

Do you normally polish poultry or something?

Nixeris t1_ixumwsx wrote

It's string and fluff from the wheel. Wheels always loose a bit of lint and string during a job.

ShedPH93 t1_ixu908e wrote

It looks really beautiful, nice work! But I wonder if it's practical, rings are usually made of ductile materials that easily adapt to the shape of a person's finger, whereas the middle of this ring is a rigid, perfect circle. It also looks like it would break after a while.

nescent78 t1_ixucdhw wrote

Pffft anyone could do that...

With the right equipment The right skills and training The right materials Etc etc

Nice

Scethrow t1_ixsxwf5 wrote

That’s definitely nice

SpunkyLilT t1_ixt2bf1 wrote

I’d definitely pay for one! If you have a link send it my way! It’s stunning!

Known-Potential-3603 t1_ixudrdp wrote

He has even more styles on his etsy too. This is going on my wishlist!

Mofiremofire t1_ixth2a6 wrote

How good do they look when you arrive to the ER with a broken finger and they can’t get it off. Rings terrify me.

−12

dgsharp t1_ixuba49 wrote

Should be pretty easy to crack this off. With tungsten carbide rings they use a pair of locking pliers to crack it. I would imagine this is even more brittle.

Mofiremofire t1_ixufvx9 wrote

I’ve just heard enough degloving stories from my wife ( trauma surgeon) that I don’t wear rings, and she doesn’t either.

THOMASTHEWANKENG1NE t1_ixtgar3 wrote

Wear gloves people. Even thin leather. Find a nice pair that fit.

−20

tristenjpl t1_ixtpnqr wrote

Nah you should practically never wear gloves with stationary equipment. Bumping a spinning part with your hand can be bad and will hurt. Bumping it with a glove on is more likely and it has a higher chance of getting caught in something and dragging your hand in.

xluryan t1_ixtwzlc wrote

Some of the worst advice on the internet right here. Do not listen to this guy, he has no clue what he's talking about. I don't know what made him think he has the authority to comment what he did, but he clearly does not work with machinery and does NOT have the authority to say shit.

Google "lathe degloving" if you want to know why.