Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PuffieBeans t1_j322l4r wrote

Looks like they're all dead.

deelyy t1_j32343h wrote

Yeah. Like someone feed the shark for the video.. wait a min..

Amasterclass t1_j32h3eb wrote

Pretty sure the fisherman give them some to stop them from taking all their catch

mileswilliams t1_j363vwp wrote

Nope, they feed them to keep them in the area as they attract tourists. It messes with their migrations and is illegal but nobody cares in the Philippines. And asshole tourists pay to swim with them, then ride elephants, watch a dolphin show etc etc..

TheLostWaterNymph t1_j3698ze wrote

I had no idea about the migration thing. In one way that’s not as bad as aqua shows and elephants though. It’s like feeding the seals at Eyemouth since you’re from uk I see… people buy fish to feed the seals and the seals constantly stay because they get free food.

mileswilliams t1_j369rt2 wrote

I don't disagree, it isn't as high on the scale as dolphinariums, but still bad, the migration patterns impact breeding and of course fishermen are not only fishing for themselves, village, shop/market but also a 19 tonne whale shark, they get diseased and get wounds from bumping into boats etc.

They heal remarkably well. And are considered under threat with about half the population of 75 years ago.

TheLostWaterNymph t1_j369y90 wrote

Do you think it negatively impacts their breeding?

mileswilliams t1_j36a9vi wrote

Yes, I used to teach SCUBA in Thailand and we'd often get visited by passing whale sharks, we were really strict about leaving them alone and enjoying their presence. Anyone trying to touch them would have their mask ripped off and that usually makes them surface.

I was told their migration patterns are essential for breeding, mating, food and general health. I don't research it though, so hearsay.

evolvaer t1_j36rvzq wrote

What else did you do in thailand

mileswilliams t1_j36w2d5 wrote

I lived there for about a year, so lots of stuff.

evolvaer t1_j3a0znt wrote

Any impressions of your time there for some one who will never see it?

rubywpnmaster t1_j36853z wrote

Dolphin show the Filipino equivalent to a Tijuana Donkey Show?

mileswilliams t1_j368clq wrote

Probably, dolphin shoes aren't exclusively a Filipino thing, wouldn't surprise me if they still had them in my country UK.

resistible t1_j36q2s1 wrote

Reflecting on your comment, I imagine it's beneficial to the sharks themselves that the locals are able to monetize them instead of killing them to protect fishing grounds. The same transition is happening with the Maasai and lions.

mileswilliams t1_j36w7th wrote

It is better than killing them by sawing them up I guess, but still not ideal.

hiricinee t1_j34cone wrote

Imagine you're a fish just swimming around minding your own fucking business. Then you feel yourself getting pulled down, and then its dark, there's some asshole slapping you in the face, and you feel your skin burning until your face melts and you die. Fun times.

droveby t1_j34vj9j wrote

There's a story like that, a guy got accidentally swallowed by a whale and he was inside for a few good minutes very confused but then the whale puke him out and he was fine

​

edit: https://abcnews.go.com/WNN/video/inside-whales-mouth-78264112

modsarefascists42 t1_j35s3ny wrote

Lol he was in it's mouth not it's stomach, no way a human can fit in their stomach.

A megalodon could probably eat us whole though. Thankfully they died out way before us.

Snizl t1_j3634g3 wrote

we could fit in their stomach. hell we fit in a blue whales heart. We just dont fit through their throat.

Tapil t1_j35mmcs wrote

Not possible for even a cat to be swalled by a whale shark. Their throat is tiny

hiricinee t1_j35rjta wrote

I was referring to fish

Tapil t1_j35ryic wrote

Lol alright. It does read both ways. Swim on lil fish 🐟

hiricinee t1_j35tmy2 wrote

It was ambiguous. I'll amend it for clarity.

Steinthor t1_j34jx5u wrote

The audio that would accompany that would be equally enjoyable.

ManikShamanik t1_j36c4wl wrote

Whale sharks are baleen feeders, so can only eat small fish. We have basking sharks occasionally popping up off the Cornish coast, which fuckwits think are great whites.