Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Punk_Parab t1_j9uqfi6 wrote

Blind tests to keep people honest is pretty great in terms of headphones, speakers, and audio format.

More people really should go the extra mile to validate their theories of listening to stuff with some proper testing.

It always reminds me of the "feel" audio peeps who can never manage to make a good argument against the measurement audio peeps who can usually drop actual data.

ultra_prescriptivist t1_j9urcmb wrote

Absolutely. It also really helps narrow down which parts of the audio chain are worth fussing over and which aren't, so resources can be allocated most effectively.

I think a lot of audiophiles are genuinely afraid of it, as if by admitting that two things aren't audibly different is going to get them disbarred and stripped of their Golden Ears Club membership status, or something.

Punk_Parab t1_j9urw3c wrote

Yeah, idk, it might be my other nerd hobby is a money sink (flight simming), but I am fine saying sometimes (maybe even often) I buy expensive hobby shit just for the sake of it, I don't really feel like I need to defend it as an objective choice though.

There is def some weird thing with Golden Ears / Super Tasters, like bro, no one cares, I don't care if you claim to magically hear / taste better than average.