Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_j9kz2f8 wrote

Tube amps CAN produce audible distortion. This can sound good, or bad, depending on who you ask. Clean tube amps, which do not produce any audible distortion do also exist btw.

Tube amps CAN also boost the bass response of variable impedance headphones, by a couple of dB. This has NOTHING to do with them using tubes, but with them usually having high output impedance. A solid state amp with a high output impedance can achieve the same bass bost and so can parametric EQ.

In my opinion tube amps are nice to look at but ultimately pointless. Generating distortion has nothing to do with high fidelity, and tuning a headphone is better done via EQ.

adeadcrab t1_j9l12h5 wrote

Why is tuning a headphone with software EQ better?

[deleted] t1_j9l1l8t wrote

Because you have literally infinite options as opposed to a couple of dB extra in the bass?

GarlicBiscuits OP t1_j9l2kca wrote

That's all good to know, thanks for the info! I'll make sure to look into solid state options and see what might be ideal for me in case I do that instead. I might not want to go overboard for something that has a very small/subtle difference with much higher cost.