Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Muscletov t1_j9ahlwv wrote

But at least I don't have to furnish an entire room around my headphones.

Speakers are great, but room acoustics are a complete bitch.

[deleted] t1_j9akgbe wrote

In my experience an enclosed space (a room to which you can close the door) plus REW gets you 95% of the way, without having to do any furnishing.

Whats less ideal is that for the best experience you want to be sitting in front of the speakers at one exact position, whilst with headphones you can do a hand stand in your garden and not miss out on anything.

rhalf t1_j9bgnm5 wrote

If I were to practice handstand in the garden, I'd prefer speakers. Because since when people care about their sweetspots while they're sweating? :)I can't 100% agree with you. Speakers vary in their interaction with the room. You can fix the modal region with good results, but an echoey room will often need some work. Maybe not as much as people think when they watch pictures online.

But I can see a pattern here. You seem to be using some narrow dispersion speakers. There are different builds.

KiyPhi t1_j9c1nym wrote

Not in my room. Reverberation and resonances were so bad, I I could clap and hear any metal in my apartment ring. Lined the walls with Rockwool panels and now everything except the bass resonances are great. For headphones, I turn on my RME's crossfeed for old hard-panned songs and get 95% of the way to speakers.